Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum gas cap needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 34Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

Maybe just me, but not a big fan of welding used gas tanks.

2. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

They can be made if you have the thread size.

Attached Files:

3. Remove tank, fill with water. NO gas, NO gas fumes, what can happen? Pretty standard for gas tank repair to fill with water and weld.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just thinking kind of outside the box. Did you ever think about checking some one that sells replacement airplane parts?

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

One thought would be to look up a small machine shop or two that does general machining and repairs. Take the cap and ask for a quote. It would not cost anything for an estimate. Could ask around as well. There may be a friend of a friend who could do it or a retired machinist who has a lathe that could do it as well. The old cap sounds like it lasted a long time and a new cap would last many more years. It may be easier & less expensive to have a new one made rather than tearing the car apart to install a new neck. Likely the aluminum was used for cost and it would wear vs using all stainless and risk wearing the neck threads out.
    We use a fuel lube on the aluminum fuel cap and filler neck of our airplane. Aluminum against aluminum is dry and very sticky. The grease helps with screwing the cap in and out as well as by stopping the aluminum from oxidizing & bonding the parts together. A lubricant would keep the threads on your aluminum cap from wearing against the stainless thread. The grease in the threads would definitely slow down wear. A white lithium grease would probably work as well.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/lubricants/ezturnlube.php

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    39cdan and kiwijeff like this.
  6. 34Joe

34Joe

I'm not into welding a used gas tank.

7. 34Joe

34Joe

Ill have to check into that, Thanks for the info.

8. 34Joe

34Joe

Good idea, really appreciate the info. I would not attempt to weld on a new neck, probably end up buying another gas tank at worst. I don't really want to do that. Don't know of any machine shops in the area , have to check around.

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Done it lots of times, My wife said she would kill me if I ever blew myself up doing it, so I make sure I do it correctly. Even after cleaning it I still stand back with a long torch to see if I get a "woof" out of the filler, but its not going to explode

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Risky business'... I helped Rich Starett in high school machine shop one afternoon, he had to weld a pinhole in a weld on a MOON tank. (2 gal., aluminum w/ welded caps onto a spun body)
    I filled it to the brim with water, rinsed it once, refilled it. Starett lit the acetyline torch, placed it on the weld and with a 'WOOM!' blew the end cap right off the tank, and it went clear to the opposite wall! 20 feet!
    Starett looked odd with no eyebrows.
    "Dem fumes was lurkin'!' I sang a little blues ditty after class, that was the lead line...

11. 34Joe

34Joe

I would personally rather look for a cap or someone who could make one. Messed with cutting out a Model A gas tank years back , learned my lesson.

12. rjones35

rjones35

bummer.

13. rjones35

rjones35

Yeah, it's handy having a buddy that's a machinist and doesn't have his own car, so he likes making things for me. To bad you're not closer, he could make one I'm sure.

14. I've got a spare cap and (aluminum) neck, same as I used on my avatar altered - the thread on the neck actually measures 2.470" dia. and the thread is 16TPI. The cap has a trick little flapper valve that would vent no matter what the flow - I'm sure you could silicone it shut if you wanted. I think I'm in it about $30. Not sure where I got it. DSCN2050.JPG DSCN2051.JPG DSCN2052.JPG

15. 34Joe

34Joe

It was the closest that I have gotten so far. Thanks for the lead.

16. 34Joe

34Joe

I cant believe that on one has an extra cap, and that no one else has run into this problem with the earlier Rock Valley gas tanks.

rjones35 likes this.
  17. 34Joe

34Joe

Just borrowed a thread gauge. The thread pitch is 1.50mm. I counted 9 threads on the half inch gauge. Does this mean that the thread on the neck and cap are 18 threads per inch?

18. 34Joe

34Joe

Still trying to figure out what tpi I have. I think it is 18

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

I have a 2 1/2" aluminum cap with o-ring that you can HAVE, if you simply reimburse my postage.

Truck64 and jekalaka like this.
  20. Joe, you need to get a thread gauge for SAE (American) threads - I just checked a filler neck that was on my Model A's tanks, Inc. tank and it's 16 tpi, though it's 2 1/4" dia. 16 TPI is a really easy thread for manufacturers to use. A dial caliper should give you an accurate diameter measurement on the threads. Hope th DSCN2055.JPG is helps.

21. Here's a little more comprehensive SAE thread gauge, its a "General" brand No. 251 - pitches from 4tpi to 84tpi. It's a little older, the new ones available in Amazon are slightly different and are about $35 - you might be able to borrow a good gauge from a machinist friend. DSCN2056.JPG

22. 34Joe

34Joe

Went out and bought an SAE thread gauge. The gauge measured 16tpi.The previous tool I borrowed was metric.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Have you tried Marine applications?

Gary

24. 34Joe

34Joe

Tried several sights, no luck.

25. I'd go find someone to make a Custom, one off cap.
    Probably be a reasonable price, and you could personalize it, and have it made from aluminum or stainless.

26. badshifter

badshifter

27. 34Joe

34Joe

Going to start calling local machine shops tomorrow to see if one can be made.

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. 34Joe

34Joe

I will definitely be checking into them tomorrow , Thanks.

29. 34Joe

34Joe

I will start contacting local machine shops tomorrow, price is not the problem, getting someone to do may be.

pat59 likes this.
  30. 34Joe

34Joe

Contacted both above addresses, they are 18 threads per inch. I need 16 threads per inch.