Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aluminum floor pan question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I did a few searches and couldn't find anything... what gauge of aluminum sheet would be suitable for floors in a drag car? Also, would you you just rivet it to all of the floor supports and to the rockers? I figured I'd screw in the transmission tunnel so it could easily be removed. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

NHRA has the specs under general rules. You can answer your own question by going to their website.

4. rooman

rooman

The spec varies depending on how fast your car will be running but it is generally a good idea to use steel under the driver and weld it in place (for your own safety). As southcross noted it generally pays to check the rule book.

Roo

5. squirrel

squirrel

There is a minimum thickness to meet the rulebook, and then there is what you want, to be stiff enough to support the weight it will see.

I think he is asking about what you really want, not the minimum allowed.

6. I always try to build in a frame brace close to where a driver will be landing his Foot so to keep the panel from sagging over time. Aluminum also has no traction and if your climbing over welded in door bars it can bring an issue you didnn't think of. I use a product made for Skate Boards. It's a peel and stick product that reminds ya of 80 grit sand paper. It's double Tough in that it don't just wear out and is an excellent non skid thing to do. Just food for thought.
    The Wizzard

Doctorterry and squirrel like this.
  7. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Grip tape, also sold in rolls for stair tread safety.

I just bought some pink with purple flower grip tape for my daughters scooters. A lot more colors available than when I skated in the late 80's

Doctorterry likes this.