Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum 1940 Willys Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Mar 27, 2008.

1. That's pretty cool, but if you check each panel against the original car, does that make your car just a little bit bigger? Just wondering...

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I'm semi traditional, myself but don't overlook the raw talent. Look he only has 27 post and is an alliance member.:)

3. Markgyver

Markgyver

Holy crap I wish I had just a 1/10th of you tallent... Great work..

4. Tony

Tony

I could gave a shit if it has ifs or not, i admire the workmanship in this build and would kill to have the skill's needed to do it, someday maybe i will..
    There's a lot of learning that can be gained from car's like this in my opinion..
    Very nice work.

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Young Man.........Job well done. What a Bright Future you have !!!

6. Great work. Disregard the critics.

7. [​IMG] Here we go again...joe

8. redrico1

redrico1

some people are just BRAIN DEAD

9. dbradley

dbradley

Once in a great while a talent pops up. The nay-sayers on here look past the fact that this young man is starting a business. What sells? High quality street rods. If you don't like it, buy it and change the chassis to a gasser style. Me, I'd "lower" myself to drive that around. Although there would be NO paint on there to hide the incredible work.

10. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

...........you rule.......i'm jealous

11. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I've seen the Car in person and it is very nice-great job! I know this site is traditional, but I think everyone who has interests in Cars (or Hotrods, Street Rods, Drag Cars, whatever) comes here-speaking of Drag Cars, there are a lot of Threads here about those that aren't traditional-in the words of Rodney King "can't we all just get along?", and respect each other BECAUSE we have a shared interest in Cars?

And, oh, by the way, go ahead and flame me too because I'm building a Car with a Heidt's IFS-

12. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Amazing! I'll take the old template car when you're done..:)

13. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Okay, new rule. Anyone who wants to bash this fella needs to include a picture of the last car body they personally built completely from scratch.

This may be a traditional forum but there is plenty of IFS car owners on here (soon to include me I hope). No they aren't "traditional" but building a whole freakin car body sure as hell is. Plus if you are building a car for money, a street rod brings three times the money. He's a business. Obviously he has the talent to build whatever the hell he wants to. He can build plenty of low buck hot rods after he gets done cashing this check.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

15. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

damn that is cool... you did a outstanding job... have you made any other "panels" of cars? or did you just wake up one day and tell yourself "i want to make a willys"?

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

crap, after reading this, I just sent all my projects to the scrapper and now I am going to pickup knitting.

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

My name is Mike and I too, have an IFS problem. I feel better now. Can't we expand our vision every now and then and appreciate this car for what it is?

18. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Thanks for the comments! I didnt build this car for fame and recognition. I built it because I am in love with willys and I wanted to give metal shaping a more serious focus. I am a traditionalist by heart, and 30's cars are my love, but I have allways wanted a willy's coupe and this was my chance to have a truly one of a kind willy's coupe.

Thanks again for all the comments. Thats what I enjoy most about building cars it the fellowship with other car builders.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Outstanding ASR!!

20. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Well, I just got around to returning to this thread and am more than a little shocked at what Skajahquada (Sp?) had to say! I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how translating a pile of sheet aluminum into a '40 Willys body is anything less than traditional. Fercrissakes, where the hell have you been living that you would not appreciate the fact that this guy can beat a bunch of aluminum into submission and make it look like a car and then have the cajones to dis him because he has chosen to put an IFS on it. Man, you better get yourself some new meds. Fast!!!

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its a masterpiece and keep including updates on the metal work, just dont talk about the 20" wheels or other modern streetrod stuff and folks should stay off their rants about it being a streetrod and not a traditional hotrod.

thou you could redo the frame put some skinner rear tires/wheels on it slightly handing out, add a straight axle and a set of halibrands or other vintage rim..

22. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

My ultimate goal for this car is to have it a partial tribute to the gasser days. I want to keep the car as much aluminum as possible so I want to go with an all aluminum hemi with old school fuel injection. Get some sweet old aluminum wheels, and some old school slicks. I do want it to sit lower and ride smooth so I will keep the IFS. But for the most part i'm going for the drag feel.

23. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Any idea what that body weighs ASR? It's got to be comparable to some lightweight race car bodies out there...

24. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beeeeeautiful work!!

26. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I agree with unclescooby's post. Repeated by x38. Who give a shit if it's not a nose high gasser. It's one hell of a build, by someone who has a lot more talent than most of us. A Job well done.

27. A guy with that kind a talent,to build a aluminum Willys body,shouldn't give a FUCK what anybody thinks!!!!!! You have just been added to my list of "wish I could do that" guys. Don't let anybody effect your accomplishments. YOU HAVE GOT IT! Buddy. Shit talkers are just jealous....

28. ks662

ks662

Wow! Young guy with super talent starting his own business creating something of value.Our country Desperatly needs more young people like you.Tell any detractors to fuck off!!.Give em hell Kid!

John

29. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I havent put it on the scale yet, but as it sits even with the 3/16" thick frame and the 9" housing and wheels I can lift the rear end off the ground and move it around by hand:)

30. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

"Pub lays down his hammer and walks away knowing he will never be that good". Outstanding work.