Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alum heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

hey,a mech told me to change the plugs at 75ooo miles or they might strip the treads taking them out on alum heads, true or flase? :confused:

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

At 75 thousand miles on a set of plugs, it's probably a good idea :eek:

3. Deuces

Deuces

Huh????????.... False!!!
    I just use a very "light" coat of oil on the threads and torque the plugs in to specs...

4. squirrel

squirrel

I've heard the same thing, I pull the plugs out of my wife's truck every 100k and add some new anti-seize compound to the threads.

(they don't need to be changed at that time, just cleaned a little bit and put back in)

5. Huge problem with fords.

6. If the plugs were prepped properly before the install, and torqued, the answer is NO. If you are referring to a O/T late model Ford product, -YES. The original plugs are a 2 piece design, and quite often they will give you problems taking them out. The aftermarket has already addressed the issue. Good/knowledgeable late model Ford techs should have the kit to remove the seperated pieces of spark plug safely, TR

7. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Antisieze is a must (not oil). Copper based (aircraft) is best as it stands up to a bit higher temp. Loctite C5A is example

8. Deuces

Deuces

...... And don't remove them when they're hot....