Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternators that look like generators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cars2cool, Aug 20, 2015.

1. cars2cool

cars2cool

Okay I've killed a lot of brain cells in my day but have I seen advertised somewhere that somebody is offering a alternator that looks like an old skool generator? Oh is my wife correct when she says "What the hell are you thinking?" My safest reply so far is "old cars".

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Is this seriously your first post?

3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

4. do a search in the classifieds. They are listed there for sale.
    Pat

5. Pretty pricey.

Ben

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was wondering if the price has came down any on them.

7. amadeus

amadeus

The problem with these is that they heat up and will prematurely fail....
    And are very expensive..

8. silent rick

silent rick

here's a generator that looks like a generator

[​IMG]

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's at least one other company besides Powermaster making them, and cheaper too. I've never had much luck keeping a generator going; they all seem to throw solder with 7K powershifts. Did anyone notice the OP's avatar? Post some more pics of that! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Google----genernator,also powergen.There is one made by Whitley or Whitney(not the JC catalogue).

11. They're pretty much limited the same as a real generator; while they're capable of higher output, running them like that will burn them out. The only real advantage is they do have usable output at slow speeds. If your generator is adequate for the current electrical load, one would work. If your planning on adding to the load, go with a real alternator.

12. I read somewhere that a 12v generator from a mid 50's ford car will work for most applications.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

OK, now you guys got me wondering. What makes the PowerGens more prone to failure than a "normal" alternator? Is it the (presumably) steel case vs. the aluminum case of the standard alternator? Wouldn't the same issue be caused by a chromed aluminum case alternator as well? Now I'm curious.

14. Can you get an generator that looks like an alternator??

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Agreed.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I use a 12 volt 50's generator and cut the mounting tabs off to mount them on a flathead mount. Same exact diameter.

Steve, I have also used a powergen on another vehicle now for three years with no problems. Exactly what do you mean by "running them like that will burn them up" damn things are very expensive to have problems like that?

17. It's lack of cooling, but it has much more to do with the design rather than materials. The long, smaller-diameter 'generator' case simply doesn't have enough room inside to allow for adequate cooling through the case at high ampere output. There's three manufacturers of these that I'm aware, all use very similar designs, but only one admits that these do have practical limits.

Pete, these alternators are generally only rated to 75 amps maximum. That doesn't mean you can run them that hard continuously. The general rule with any power-producing electrical device is the safe continuous rating will be 80% of maximum, maybe less depending on who you buy from. If your maximum electrical load is under that amount, you'll have no issues. If you use one above that 80% number, it will overheat.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ok thx I understand. I am running lights, fuel pump and two electric fans. Looks like I can consider myself lucky.
    As far as size, these are a lot bigger than say a 60's GM alternator. But I must admit those look to have more ventilation areas than the powergen.

19. amadeus

amadeus

A modern alternator is producing more output than a vintage 25-35amp generator, the more amperage produced the more heat it will generate, look at a modern alternator, they are small and capable of producing high amounts of amperage but have been equipped with "flutes" on the casing and internal fans to dissipate the heat , the alternators and generators "suck" the "cooling air' REAR to FRONT, (most rectifiers and regulators are located in the rear of the unit) Powergens try to emulate the look of a vintage generator and thus suffer from a design flaw (no cooling flutes!) which is not enough cooling & heat dissipation; The units will overheat and the electronics will fail. And this is all for the sake of having the "look" of a vintage generator.

Look at some of the modern vehicles with high output modern generators, some of them are air cooled with ducts and some are even encased in the engine block and use coolant to keep the temps down!

20. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

It's Ed Whitney (http://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html). I've had one of his generator lookalike conversions in my 6v positive ground '40 for 10 years, and have had no problems with it. He uses the end plates from your original generator, and and fabricates the rest of the case and the pulley. I've been told the alternator unit comes from a Kubota tractor, but don't know for sure.

21. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Hey Silent Rick : If you see my Sister, tell her I said HI ! ! !

(selfish disgusting anti-social bad influence friend of the devil seeks an intelligent young hard belly with large breasts to dance naked for my amusement, keep my bike and house clean and buy me nice things.
    must ride on fender.)

VR&C.

22. Try Rotten Lenard's stealth alternators. He offers an alliance discount as well on his items.

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why not just run a Generator

24. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Ed Whitney in Buena Park,CA.Ask for Tom his son. Tel 714-773-1611
    He does the ones for Flatheads.Uses the front and rear end parts and machines a new housing out of aluminum and connects the small alt to the pulley..The only drawback is it only puts out 40 amps.He has done 2 for me and several for friends.I had no problems and they did the job.Used to be around $350 and you supply a core.30-60 day wait.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

26. 33Tudor

33Tudor

I put an alternator from a forklift inside an original flathead generator case 4 years ago when I was building my 33. Now my buddy wants me to build him one for the flathead in his 34 3window. I can't seem to remember if it was on here that I saw the instructions to build it. Does anyone remember?