Register now to get rid of these ads!

ALTERNATORS: Replace Ford 1G or "upgrade"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malpass, May 30, 2012.

1. So the alternator in my Fairlane called it quits, it's a Ford 1G. I've been reading out different options and the GM 3-wire seems like the best and most cost effective "upgrade" for an internally regulated unit.

By cost effective I mean there is a $5 difference in price.

So...

Do I just slap a 1G replacement back in? Or should I take the opportunity to swap in the GM unit to render the ugly voltage reg obsolete?

What would you do if it was your car?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TJJ

2. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

If it was my car I'd go with the upgrade and here's why. At least with my car I'm all about driving it and this seems like an opportunity to make the car more cruiseable. I know there's a lot of traditionalist here who don't feel the same way but I see it as nothing but a good thing.

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I like ford alternators.. My wife's car had a 302 with a gm alt, I wired in a ford alt and reg...

4. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Just replace it with a 3G Ford alternator. A far better unit than a GM, and it fits your existing setup.

Internally regulated, and you can service the brushes / regulator without splitting the case - 4 screws & the regulator / brush holder is in your hand.

B.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

How long did the old one last? Stuff wears out and breaks. I don't get mad at a part that lasts 10 years or more. If you have to have the very best then I don't understand your thinking. That's an ego thing to me. It seems like a lot of trouble to change a working system just so you can say my alternator is better than yours.:D

I'd just buy a replacement alternator and be done with it in an hour or so.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto the 3G Ford unit; No hassle bolt in...is the way to go. BTW, if you still have a "mechanical" voltage regulator, you can put in the later 70's solid state item....works perfect ! I swapped one into my 72 F 100,...back in 1980 and it's still there.

4TTRUK

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Assuming you don't have any high amperage accessories like a big stereo or air conditioning, I don't see any reason to change what was there. Also, what's wrong with it? Alternators are pretty simple devices, you may be able to repair it for a few bucks.

9. Why horse around with the heinz 57 method. Just put a stocker in which is cheap and simple. Last for years.

10. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Why? Well besides the OP's desire to upgrade, there are several reasons to change to the later FORD 3G alternator, on a Ford.

1) As I said before, the 3G can be serviced much easier than the old style units - if it ever needed it.

2) The 1G unit got left behind decades ago. This means the existing cores have been rebuilt over & over. Much of the 1G fleet is pure dog shit.

3) The External regulator for the 1G has been getting worse every year. Ford quit buying them more than 20 years ago. The solid state version is made in china / bangladesh / kazakastan etc, and is not inspected or qualified to OEM standards. The mechanical version is even older, and made by people who sort of copied a worn out US part with metric tools.

4) Better output at idle. Even if you have a bone stock 1964 Falcon, the 3G will make more current at idle than the 1G did at 4,000 rpm. No dim lights, no undercharged battery on cars that sit for a week between drives.

5) Better voltage sensing. The 3G is internally regulated, and senses battery voltage through the large output wire to the battery. The old 1G with the remote regulator has several connections that can deteriorate over time and cause voltage control issues.

6) Durability. I have a 3G that came out of a taxicab under my bench. Car was scrapped with 215k miles on it. The alternator still had the assembly line sticker & paint marks. I tested it, and other than some bearing noise it was still making 135 amps. I pulled it down, and the brushes were probably a few thousand miles from being done. I put it back together as-is & keep it as an example.

B.

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I replaced mines with a chevy 1 wire. 35 amps I think

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

bohica,... at one time, places like Pep Boys sold alternator rebuild kits,...so I bought the 100 amp item and put it in my factory '72 alt. case. I don't know if the pieces are still available as packaged kits, but if not, any good auto elec shop should be able to either provide the parts, or do the upgrade.

4TTRUK

13. It's replies like these that make weeding through the useless opinions, that contain no reasoning, worthwhile. Thank you for that.

For the time being I replaced it with e reman stock unit, I just wanted to car back on the road. Upgrading to the 3G will be on my to-do list for sure.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TJJ