Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator won't charge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '48IHC, Aug 14, 2013.

1. '48IHC

'48IHC

I dont know if this is an appropriate topic for the h.a.m.b. but ill give it a shot. I'm running a 5.3 in my 48 KB-1 and I hooked up my alternator and everything was great. Charging 14v on the nose. I ran a 12v source to the C terminal and 12v resisted to the B terminal and the main hot that goes to the back stud on the alternator itself. I sat the battery on the fender and let it idle and let it get up to temp and go through a heat cycle since I just replaced the water pump. I didn't notice the cable resting against the header and it burnt up and shorted everything out and shut the pickup down (dumb on my part I know). Since then I relocated the battery in the bed of the pickup and ran everything the same. Now the alternator won't charge at all. Can that fry an alternator by shorting everything out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Yes you coulda killed it. At my shop we pull it out and send it out to be checked to be sure.
    Before you do that, do you have power on the big terminal, power to one term on integral reguator and one terminal with less power( through idiot light)?

3. '48IHC

'48IHC

Yes I have power to all 3. Everything is wired just as you explained. I use the dummy light as my resistor.

4. '48IHC

'48IHC

Put a new alternator on and it started working perfectly. Then all of a sudden it started charging 11v only. Got another new one and everything is working great. Must of had a lemon!

5. As you can see from numerous posts here on HAMB replacement parts aren't what they used to be. I've had quite a few parts that were bad right out of the box or failed shortly after installation. Seems like it's becoming the norm.

6. ......This is very true. A number of yrs. ago I replaced a bad alternator (an internally regulated GM one) with a rebuilt unit. When I started the car the dash lights lit up so bright it was blinding. I shut it off immediately, not wanting to have to pull the dash apart to replace bulbs and/or burnt up instruments. Took back the offending unit and the parts house replaced it with a good one. I'm assuming that the internal regulator was bad. You would think the rebuilder would bench test these things before boxing them up and sending them out. Guess that's expecting too much.