Register now to get rid of these ads!

alternator wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Compulsion, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

I have a 1951 Prefect gasser with a 454 chevy. Until last year it ran with a Vortex Magneto. The battery in the trunk was used only to start the engine. Last year the mag packed it in and I switched to an HEI distributer. Now we have to recharge the battery from an external generator between rounds to keep enough juice in it to run the HEI. To get around this inconvenience I want to install an alternator. I have a 3 wire GM alternator. I need help with wiring. Can I run a 10 gauge wire from the Bat terminal on the alternator to the positive on the starter and forget the other two terminals?
    All I want to do is put some charge back into the battery.
    Rick

2. you'll need to loop a wire from the right side of the two prong connector back to your battery feed wire for it to charge

3. google "gm 1 wire alt." and a diagram will pop up.

4. Jettback50

Jettback50

If you have a 3 wire you can't just wire it as a 1 wire. You need a 'self exciting' regulator that the 1 wire styles have installed. Here is how you need to get it to work.

Attached Files: