Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mt shasta steve, Apr 19, 2012.

1. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

The GM internal VR alternator on my '41 died. Thought I would change to a one wire since I'm buying an alt anyway. Just run the same 12V to the alt and call it macarooni? Anything else I need to do or know?

2. The only real difference is you will not have the small exciter wire that goes through the Gen or Alt light. The one-wire are self-exciting. Just run the large wire on the new 1 wire alt direct to the battery. Insulate your other wires that are going to the alt - the small exciter wire and if present the other larger wire that should be +12 switched.

BTW, you will lose the idiot light from working. You should have a voltmeter or ammeter to be able to tell if the 1-wire alt stops charging.

3. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I have a voltmeter in the truck. That's how I knew the alt wasn't charging. Thanks for the input

4. If you think it wasn't charging before wait till you put a 1 wire alternator in.

5. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Thanks for the input Wadda;
    Could you fill me in on the charging problems? Since I'm buying an alternator anyway, I might as well get the most dependable. What don't you like about the one wire?

6. racer67x

racer67x

7. im running a 1 wire. i have no charging problems at all. just sayin

8. If you already have a 3 wire setup then stay with it.The sense wire allows for far better control of the charging rate relative to system requirements. Read this thread for more information . The 3 wire is definitely the way to go.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380620.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then it would seem there's a possibity that there is a exciter issue at hand. Not knowing how your wireing is I can't say. Just as other's have said a 3 wire is better. But if it makes things easier for you then a 1 wire is the best option for those that can't make a 3 wire work correctly or to clean up wiring on a show type vehicle where dependability is not an issue.

10. As "cheap" as GM is don't you think that if they could run a charging system on 1 wire they would???

The answer is: They won't!

Why: It doesn't work properly.

11. trollst

trollst

By now you're wondering why the one wire is less desireable...its cause it only charges the battery, makes the battery do all the work powering the electrical system. The three wire has a sensing wire that determines the load the alternator needs, to power the system and charge the battery. The two should work together, a one wire doesn't do that, as I said, it only charges the battery, I for one can't understand the willingness to use them, a three wire is cheaper to buy, just as easy to wire and far more dependable.
    Just my two cents.....

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

ABSOLUTELY GM never ran an extra wire for anything that wasn't required.

Has the one wire alternator suddenly become a status symbol?

13. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA