Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator - Puzzling?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Alternators were kinda after my time. I Like them but know little about them. My thirty-eight Ford has been converted to 12 volts. Driving home the other evening, I noticed my head light would dim for a second or two every now and then. Then I saw that my voltage gauge was only showing about 12 volts. It has always read around 14 volts up til now. When I start the car now the volt gauge shows 12 volts to start then in a second or two it jumps up to 14 then right back to 12, where it stays. Seems to me that maybe the voltage regular is failing. What do y'all think?

2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Belt may be slipping. Check tension.

Jack E/NJ

3. JJTF

JJTF

I believe the alternator should be putting out ~14.5, if it's not, you have a bad regulator or alternator (some regulators are internal, so replace alternator). If external regulator, try replacing that first (it's cheaper). You are likely showing ~12 because it's running/drawing power off the battery. Sounds to me like the fluctuation is the part failing, once it completely goes, it will drain your battery & leave you stranded.
    Good Luck!
    -jt

4. JJTF

JJTF

Jack's right though; check your belt tension first!

5. pitman

pitman

Sometimes if you can ID the alternator...then simply replace the internal regulator if that proves to be bad.