Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator in my 58 chevy pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Aug 26, 2013.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

So my generator died and I would like to install an alternator.
    My truck is running the 235 and I think I have found the correct brackets.

I have a one wire with the connector, now what? I think I run one wire from the ignition switch to the number 1 side. And the number 2 side goes to the batt post on the alternator then on to the positive side of the battery (I'm thinking the post on the starter). And taking the regulator off the firewall.

Is this correct?

2. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Can someone help me wire my alternator please?

3. Forty61

Forty61
    from DFW

4. 24riverview

24riverview

Ammeter correct? Then yes, ignition switch to #1 terminal on alternator. Use the accessory terminal if a 58 pickup has one otherwise you'll need to add a diode to keep it from running after the key's off. The rest is correct but you will not show a charge on your ammeter with the alternator battery wire hooked directly to the starter (it will charge correctly). For the ammeter to work as designed you need to attach the heavy alternator battery wire to the regulator battery wire BUT I wouldn't do this unless you're using a very low amp alternator. They did make some down in the 50 amp range. If I remember correctly those ammeters were not a shunt design and had all the battery current going through them and probably aren't designed to handle much more than 40 amps.
    If by chance you do have a gen light instead there's an easier way to do it.

5. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I have a single wire alternator on the '57 235 that's in my T-bucket. Here's a diagram that shows exactly (including the voltmeter) how mine is wired. It's real simple. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

6. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Here's some more diagrams/info regarding converting from generator to alternator that may be of help.

Attached Files:

7. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Awesome guys. I spent the afternoon mounting it up with the original gen bracket turned backwards. Came back in to figure out how to wire it up and you guys saved the day!

8. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Well everything is wired up, it works great and the belt looks like its straight. Now I just need a diode... She didn't want to shut down for me. Gotta pick one up tomorrow

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You shouldn't need a diode with a one wire setup if you have it wired right. You should only need a diode for an alternator with an exciter wire in it. Unless you used one with an exciter wire and didn't use the one wire one you mentioned before.

I used the same mount setup when I built a 53 Chev pickup for a friend of mine 30 years ago. I used the stock generator bracket and a long bolt and cut a spacer to fill the space that was left between the alternator and the back bracket.

10. Instead of a diode run the exciter wire through an idiot light. Simple way to find out if alternator stops working while you're running. Mount it in the dash so that it looks like it belongs there.