Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreepea_1, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Does anyone know what the drive source of this cable is? Do you have pictures?

Attached Files:

2. Yeah...someone, please tell...

3. ryno

ryno

im not sure someone on here will type up here shortly.
    i think that car was being built by hollywood hot rods.
    great idea.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

this is just a suggestion , and i could be wrong..but it looks like an industrial internal concrete vibrator drive cable..its like a speedo cable on steroids..
    I have about a half a dozen of them at work and have been playing around with this idea for my 28 A build.

5. That is from Hollywood Hot Rods... here is another pic from Bad Bob's HHR open house thread.

"If you look in this pic,there's a pulley right behind the radiator hoses,run by the fanbelt that has the other end of the cable attached to it."

Quote from HHRtroy (Troy Ladd) on the same thread, "P.S. the alternator is run off of an industrial high speed cable, connected to an idler pulley made from the front/rear of an original generator. SHHHH!! don't tell. "

[​IMG]

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  6. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

That's Grand! Thanks!

7. Saw something similar driving a centrifigul blower on a vintage race car in the 70s or 80s. A cable, maybe 2 inches diameter, was attatched to a drive hub on the crank snout at one end. The cable went under or through the radiator to the blower in front. I don't know if it was a drive on a modified MG, Aston or what. It was a busy day and thats back when I only cared about FE Ford stuff.

Kreepea_1 likes this.