Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Alternatives to Shaved Door Handles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Just about every custom looks better with shaved door handles, but they can be a pain to live with.

In the fifties, Packard integrated the handle with a body line moulding, so it almost became invisible. Ford Thunderbird, '61-'63, did something similar.

By the sixties, lots of customs were showing up with custom, flush lift-up handles, something Detroit wouldn't pick up on for years. I remember seeing some "how-to" articles in a mid-sixties magazine.

The Italians used a chrome, flush, blade handle on lots of their cars in the fifties and sixties; very slim and elegant. I seem to remember at least one US manufacturer used this, but I can't remember who. Continental, maybe?

2. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

1954 Packard

Attached Files:

3. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

1962 Thunderbird

Attached Files:

4. I don't know that Lincoln had a flush mount door handle. Maybe they did but I don't remember seeing one that way.

Lincoln buttons are real simple and work well. They come off of like a '46-48 lincoln.

5. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

1959 Ferrari California Spyder (sadly, none in my local junkyard :D )

Attached Files:

6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Yes, they do look good, if you can find them. I remember seeing a custom which used a chrome push button from a '70s or '80s hatchback lid to the same effect.

7. I did a power door on a '53 Ford one time with the solenoid and a micro switch on the original door lock cylinder. The doors were smoother all except for the one lock cylinder in the pass door.

Not what you are looking for in this thread but it is an option.

I am trying to remember there was a '50s American car that had flush mount door handles. I just don't remember what it was. Maybe a Kaiser or a Packard?

8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here is the 1955 Continental I was thinking of.
    Slim handle, but looks like there's a push button underneath.

Attached Files:

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

1953 Chrysler D'Elegance by Ghia.

There were about 10 Chrysler Corp show cars designed by Virgil Exner and bodied by Ghia in the fifties. Several used the blade door handles. Probably what started me on this track, come to think about it.

Attached Files:

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had flush mounted, body color painted door buttons on my 55 Olds, if you remember it from the "old Gettysburg" days. Pretty easy to make, with a freeze out plug, a piece of tubing, a bolt, a spring, and a fender washer. I did a how to with a drawing on it, a LOOOONG time ago. Chromed rat also did a version, where he used my idea, but changed it a bit.
    I can give you more details if you like.

11. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Yes, I do remember.
    In fact, I think we even discussed it one time at the show.

12. Hester

Hester

I would certainly like to know more, I can't quite picture how to do this...

13. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Ditto. Very interested.

14. Phil1934

Phil1934

Pontiac about '64-'66 had one you pushed one end and other swung out i line with slim chrome molding. Only 1/2" wide.
    Latest one is Fiat from a few years ago.

15. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Pontiac! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Yes, Fiat, and Alfa, too.

17. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

AHA! 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix
    This is the one I remembered.

Attached Files:

18. hillsmith

hillsmith

1969-72 Grand Prix and 1974-79 Jaguar XJ6 are both cool. I have used the Jag handles before, easy deal and they look good.

19. someone on here was producing a lincoln style push button. try a search thru the classifieds. I know i saw them not too long ago.

20. hemi

hemi

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

I like the Ford probe style.

22. x3!

23. Several nice ideas but for daily drivers beware of icing up in the winter.

24. thesupersized

thesupersized

personally, the only alternative that i like is 46-48 lincoln pushbuttons, and they only look good on a late 40s-mid 50s style custom.

25. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Was thinking the same thing. Lincoln buttons were cool.
    [​IMG]

26. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

27. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Some people are fine with electric opening doors. But, I know of several cases where the owner got tired of the down sides and re-installed handles.

28. Yep, and if it's something that only gets driven once in a while, you may find your battery (under the locked hood of course) too low to trigger the door solenoids.

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

Automobileaddiction.com sells a Cal Spyder Replica, and the door handles appear to be the same. You could contact them and see if they'd sell the parts.

In fact, I might do that myself....

30. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

there are no alteratives when it comes to a custom car you can have a bad ass custom car and leave the handles and it makes the car aper stock any type of door handle brakes up the lines ( like gas doors ) and suck just like most of the ones pictured in this thred , if door handles looked good do you realy think folks would be shaving them off ? the push button idea sounds good to me as well as the lincoln push button type ive had 10's of 20 cars with shaved door handles that were never a pain and worrie free door handles are like raidial tires they suck period some times "the look " over rides the hassle thats what hot rods and customs are all about , the only time i see handles work on a custom is in 40's cars but even then I would shave them shaved door handles should be at the top of your custom to do list
    DOOR HANDLES SUCK AND LOOK LIKE CRAP PERIOD:D