Register now to get rid of these ads!

alternative to hot rod flatz paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

so i like the colors of HRF paints a lot but there are all the mixed reviews on it so i would rather not use it if i don't have to. so my question is are there any other companys who sell a quality satin paint with a good selection of colors?

2. squeegs has a few. might want to think about using a flat clear over basecoat.

3. kracker36

kracker36

Any quality brand single stage can be used. I have used PPG Acrylic Urethane mixed 50/50 with a flattening base with great results. For a lower price consider Omni or Nason. Sometimes you can save money by doing this.

4. daveymac405

daveymac405

I have recently used summits line of satin single stage and love it. I also used the satin clear over it. very user friendly.
    they have roughly eight colors. and the price isn't bad either.

Attached Files:

• 144.JPG
      144.JPG
      File size:
      171.4 KB
      Views:

5. txturbo

txturbo

All 2 stage paints are satin until the clear is applied. So if you don't want the gloss just ask for a non gloss clear to go over it. Then you can have any color you want from a local automotive paint store.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

When I was in Autobody school the afternoon class accidently sprayed the LAST coat of clear on a full repaint with semi gloss clear. It looked much better then these new flat paints, and I am sure it still looks the same way today.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This is just a basecoat with out a clear coat. It's been this way for years. I just use a detail spray to wipe it down.
    groucho gas.jpg

DSC00351a.jpg

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

ON my old sedan we used a standard basecoat and mixed a hardener into it. Looked good and held up well.

On a couple of other cars we have used vinyl paint. they mix a resin into the standard basecoat at the paint shop. Turns out really hard and has a cool sheen but is usually not cheap.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did pretty much the same thing that GassersGarage showed in post #7 by mistake in 1973 when we painted my 48 72 Monte Carlo Placer gold lacquer and somehow didn't understand that we needed to clear it to make it shine. The paint store guy missed a sale on that one. It had the satin look that a lot of guys love now way before there was a satin look. I hate to think of how many hours I spent polishing it to try an make it shine and never got a shine.

10. supervert

supervert

I had no good luck with hot rod flats. Was a pain to lay flat, splotchy and stripes.
    I ended up spraying pcl flat clear over it and it was a little easier to spray but was still not perfect.

Now my uncle had his truck sprayed and they used some paint from sherwin and the guy that sprayed it said it went down better that any of the other flats that he has used.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Makes the Satin fad hard to understand, doesn't it?:eek:

12. purp47

purp47

the only problem with using just the base on base/clear system the base has no uv protection and might be prone to fade.

13. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I would rather use a single stage if I could..

14. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Try squeegshotrodconnection.com

15. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

16. jazz1

jazz1

I did the same with my daily driver a few years ago, this is a Lessonal base,,very durable. I had to squirt some paint on the truck as much of it had fallen off

<a href="http://s434.photobucket.com/user/windigo69/media/my%20ugly%20ford/100_0635.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

that looks great! i too will be painting my daily so it has to be durable.

18. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

19. jazz1

jazz1

this is my own truck with hotrod flatz pearl topped with satin Klearcote,,,i would not recommend either of these products!
    [​IMG]

20. Get any color ya wany mixed up in ss urethand, dump in a quart to quart 1/2 flattining agent and heres what ya get.
    A durable finish, that wont spot, chalk out and ya can wax it if ya want.
    This little wagon had about 40% of the gloss removed

Attached Files:

21. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Done a ton with basecoat with some hardner in it. It last and looks more even then the flat cleared topcoat.
    Check out the gold 59 truck and the 48 Chevy convert on my website. Both done that way and driven for years.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just repainted my '50 Ford with HRF Midnight Blue. Did it a year ago outside on a too warm day (80+*) and it tiger striped like crazy and dried like gravel. This past Sun I did it over (all cept the roof). Started spraying about 8:45am. It was roughly 65* with no wind. Sprayed outside in my driveway. Turned out great!!! This used the high temp reducer. Followed the instructions on the can. I did manage to run outta paint so the passenger door and 1/4 panel still need another coat.
    [​IMG]

23. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I know most of you hate the colors, but I like it. The paint is PPG eggshell modified alklyd enamel single stage. It's available anywhere that you can get PPG in what ever color that you want and it's a lot cheaper than HRF and a better brand of paint to boot.

Attached Files: