Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternative Frame Ideas? 40's Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. Tim here. I have somewhat of a dilema. Looking to see some historical evidence of folks using 40's car frames for 30's bodied hot rods. I have seen some at shows, but I can't quite remember what was done and on what cars.

I get that the frames are wider. This is no much of a problem as my body (32 Pontiac 5-window) is quite wide. I think a 40's Ford/Merc frame will fit inside of the channelled body. I know the fram is strong..and I am gonna need this because I am using a 48 Caddy Flathead. So. My idea was to channel the body over the frame, Put in a model A rear crossmember…and bob the frame behind the rear crossmember. As far as the front….would putting frame horns on this be a bad idea?

I'd be interested in seeing various vintage pics of the use of these larger/stronger frames.
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I would go with a late 40's to mid 50's pick-up chassis. With the S-10 frame swaps going on, $50 will get you a complete roller. The only downside is the paralell sprung front end. Just flip the axle on top the leaves, clean up the frame a little, rebuild the brakes, and with an eye for proportion it'll look just fine.

3. MBL

MBL

Well I may have access to a 48 Merc chassis. At this point, I want to see some historical use...to kinda give me ideas of the build direction.
    Keep them ideas coming. The focal point is period correctness.
    Tim
    MBL

4. MBL

MBL

I'd also like to get any ideas of the benefits to using this X-member in a different set of rails. I know I have seen this done before. I should also mention that the caddy mill will use the hydro.
    Tim
    MBL

5. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

you didn't mention if you are going to be using fenders or not...

6. MBL

MBL

No fenders...Sorry. :)

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The general dimensions are on the Wescott site to check against the body...the general sweep of the rails is much like a deuce, just bigger. If it all fits, with the X member it would be considerably stiffer than the pickup frame in stock form. I think it would be a g0od choice for a rod if it fits.

8. MBL

MBL

Thats some good info! Does anyone have some pics or historical documentation of use of such frames back in the day? It would seem to be a natural for folks using the big and HEAVY caddy flathead.
    Tim
    MBL

9. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

A early GM rod probably seldom got a transverse spring set-up in the 40's, 50's, or early 60's. Rather than re-invent the wheel with their chassis, most guys used what they had. So using paralell leaves would be a more traditional way to build one.

With the frame horn's trimmed on the front, and the front cross member moved back, 40's and 50's pick-up frames look almost exactly like the 28-40 Chevy frames.

A couple of pictures from "back then" I've picked up.

Attached Files:

10. MBL

MBL

Cool pic! at this point, I don't have any frame, but may have access to a 48 merc frame. I have a 34 ford dropped axle...and a banjo rear. 48 caddy mill and tranny. If I can make the transverse work with the 48 merc frame...that may be the ticket. I'd like to see more pics. :) keep em coming!
    Thanks!
    Tim
    MBL

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...pics or historical documentation..." There is an old R&C article, don't know the issue but it is reprinted in the R&C book, on slightly rearranging the bits for use under I think a '34. Seems like the proper frame was impossible to find anymore...
    That is true, by the way...it was much harder to find early V8 stuff around 1960 than it is now. No internet, no car flea markets, only local contacts and the occasional newspaper ad. The cars were essentially gone from the junkyards by then, at least in urban and suburban areas. I can remember finding the missing grill shell for my highly incomplete sedan advertised, of all places, in the Washington post...this resulted in several days of intense stress, whining, and begging until I was able to badger a loan and a ride from my parents. I was about 13, and the $15 bucks was probably about the same in my little world as $1500 would be now. I had nearly no money, but that never mattered much because I couldn't find any '32 stuff anyway!

12. MBL

MBL

Pics and or historical documentation are fine. :) anyone have a copy of that article?
    Tim
    MBL

13. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

just curious. do you have any pics of the car and the frame? i'm sure with the right mods it would probably look pretty good.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

15. dv8

dv8

I know you've seen this car Tim, but here are a couple of pics for others that might be curious.

Built...what...in like '59 or '60 or so, I can't remember.

I think it was like a late 30's or early 40's Ford truck frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MBL

MBL

Well Geoff came through on the 48 Merc frame. Its big and strong...seems like it would be a nice home for that flathead caddy mill. Anybody have any shots of use of a 48 or so merc frame in use?
    Tim
    MBL