Register now to get rid of these ads!

Altenator mounting: Going from Ram Horn to Headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Zumo

Zumo

I have brackets for ram horn mounting but have switched to headers. Can I some how use those to mount with headers? The lower bracket used to bolt to the Ram Horn but now those are gone. I am just trying to figure out what I need now to mount the altenator.

Anyone want to share and thoughts or photos of their setup on a 350 SBC?

Thanks

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about mounting it low along side the harmonic balancer? I think there are mounts for either side. That gets it almost out of sight and some think that's good to maintain a more traditional look for the engine compartment.

Frank

3. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

make a bracket off your head from the front bolt for your header to the existing alternator mount?

4. i just ordered a bracket from speedway that puts it up on the passenger side up by the intake, needed a little work to fit but its all i can find so far to make put it in a good place.

that low mount thing hangs it right were your frame rail is..well depending what ar you have.on m A that setup would not work.

5. stupid chrome stuff from available kragen, pep boys.....good news is you can paint them :) or you can make your own.

Attached Files:

6. Zumo

Zumo

I was looking at that and I think Jegs or Summit have non chrome ones.

7. if you do get them, I would throw a few more tack welds on the double bracket. also make sure your lower spacer is the right length, seen a few of them break.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are several brackets that mount to the Header bolts. Depending on what car you have and what else is in the way, is there a spot where it would work better for you?

On one of my rigs I used a stamped smog pump bracket from a late 60's early 70's small block. I think I still have a cast one out in the shed. It bolts to the right side of the intake and sets the alternator right up between the thermostat housing and the right valve cover. The only issue I had was lack of adjustment on the belt. It really needed and Idler on the belt to get it tight.

There are lots of low mount brackets if you want to put it down on the drivers side low and if you don't have power steering.

Pieces like these two and your stock top bracket will let you mount it on the header bolts. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alternator-Base-Brackets,7769.html

This is a slicker shiner version of the smog pump bracket I mentioned earlier http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Upper-Alternator-Brackets,3458.html

9. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

What water pump do you have short or long? I bought the passenger mount from so cal and made it work for my short pump, They said it was for the long, really if I didnt have the front fill tube It would have been fine. I made a spacer for the adjuster bracket to push it out a little. Its pretty cheap or you can get the one from the welder series site (short pump) its even cheaper. I have had no luck with those chrome brackets posted above ever. They always cracked on me.

10. Zumo

Zumo

Here is what I am working with:

[​IMG]not a good angle

It was mounted on the drivers side before and I guess I really don't have to put it back there. I think I have a better idea now of what I need to do.

11. Jimm56

Jimm56

Just got a set from Jegs, works pretty good with the curved, over the top tension bar.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks like you have a short water pump, which limits your choices... BUT, at least you have mounting holes in your heads. There are a few out there that will work. A lot of the choices that look real "street rod"...

I have a short water pump and double hump heads (no mounting holes), so my choices are next to none...

13. bgaro

bgaro

jake makes some sweet set ups for what your doing, look at walden speed shops site under jitney. hes got u covered.

14. Zumo

Zumo

Man that is nice, I wonder if it will clear my tall valve covers?

15. aaggie

aaggie

Alan Grove makes real nice brackets and will even do custom stuff. All are nicely cut steel and they sell the correct pulleys to match.

www.agcbracket.com

16. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I used the Alan Grove brackets on my '39 with headers. Mounts on two header bolts and one water pump bolt. Works great. I had a friend put some holes in them, just 'cause I wanted to. :) They are now painted black and sort of "went away" under the hood.

Attached Files:

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

If you're not running a power steering pump, you can go with a low-mount from speedway.
    [​IMG]

18. Moondog13

Moondog13

That is too cool. I was looking for a solution with my Impala and I likes these! :D

19. dubcee

dubcee

67-72 chevy truck alt. bracket bolts to the front of the drivers side head and has the alt. pivot,(it kind of looks like an off set sling shot) then an arched over arm for tension, or the orig upper bracket if it is still on the truck, is what I use. The 67-72 trucks are still pretty plentiful in wrecking yards around here.I have never had luck with the after market headder ones. If I am using non drilled heads, or short on room, I have used the speedway under mount alt. bracket with success.

20. gsport

gsport

i need one too.. think i'm going to try to make my own

21. Zumo

Zumo

Hitting the junk yards sounds good too.

22. For something diffrent, Speedway has a high mount that puts the Alt. up on top and center almost like a flathead. I put one on the neighbors T-bucket and he loved it.