Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alright hot rodding Guys and Gals. A survey of sorts..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rox, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rox

Rox

So Im contemplating starting to do auto trim on the side from home as a part time gig. I have the required machinery and tools, the skills, and the know-how, I just lack the projects! i have been stitching since I was a youngin, misc stuff here and there etc, but I have been studying auto upholstery for awhile but have yet to start a project. We have a couple friends looking for a little work, but I would be interested in knowing what the demand is out there and if it could become a long term, full time, finally get out of my 9-5 cubicle gig?
    So if you could give me a few quick answers, it would be much appreciated, Thanks Guys!

Im contemplating taking on a few jobs, labor cost = whatever you think fair (donations), just cost of supplies ahead of time, just to get some experience and some pictures in a portfolio.

Would you or have you previously contracted an upholterer for your car?

How much would you pay for a complete job? (seats, panels, headliners, floor etc etc)

How much would you pay for a partial job? (seats and panels)

How long would you expect for a complete job turn around? A partial job turnaround?

If you have any other info to add feel free to post below.

2. I ship my stuff to Texas. Its not cheap and good stitchers are hard to find.

You will do well if you put out a decent product and don't drag your heals. It will take time to build a reputation but once your reputation is there you're golden unless you manage to build a bad reputation.

There are some stitchers here on the HAMB some of the best in the world. Maybe one of them will chime in.

3. Rox

Rox

Well in my opinion, one of the best and a h.a.m.b.er is about 10 miles away, stitch-bitch.
    I know she gets insane requests and her work is amazing. But I laos know she is booked 2 years out...
    Thats why I wonder if my services would be needed?

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I paid top dollar for the top stitcher in the country in my opinion. I was happy to do so. Lots of guys out there do GREAT work. What I liked best about Fat Luckys was that all the interiors I saw before mine, all looked extremely different from each other YET you could pick them out from a crowd of others that that interior was done by Fat Luckys. He suited each interior to each syle of car. Stunning work, just stunning.

I would never have anyone do an interior of mine without having seen many, many interiors from that person ahead of time. Pictures are great BUT don't tell the whole story. The first cars you do need to be driven and driven long and hard to car events to get YOUR work out there in person.

Good luck.

5. I think personally the inside of the car can make or break it. also I don't know how the convertible top market is in your area but that's something else to think about. so that way you have regular jobs coming in too. not just restoration or kustom jobs.

6. My wife is going back into the business after taking a few years off. I can tell you the demand for GOOD work is huge. That's what we're aiming for. There are some people who won't want to pay the extra money for custom work done right. Get a few jobs out there and hand out cards to the customer if they are happy. Your work will stand on it's own merits, as the previous posts show.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

EXACTLY my thoughts and with Big Olds being a convertible that spends most of its life topless, the interior is extremely visable therefore I was willing to pay for an above standard interior because I thought it was important to the complete look of the car.