Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods **ALMOST THERE!! My Model a Coupe Progress Thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sutton Speed, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Looking good. Were ya thirsty after sandblasting in that tent? (that's a good idea). Here is a pic to reference off of. This is a 5" chop I did myself.
    [​IMG]

2. That's really turning out nice!

3. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

If you look closely you can see that the back of the motor is being held up with a tie strap at the moment... It sits nice and square with the trans in.

Yeah I was.. haha. Media blasting is no fun!! but worth it in the end. I used some stuff called black diamond from Tractor Supply and only had a few bags so I wanted to be able to sweep the stuff up and reuse it.... plus it helps keep the backyard a little cleaner.

I definitely dig your coupe by the way. I'm gonna run mine around for a while unchopped and see if it grows on me but i'm sure it will end up getting about 4 inches out of it in the end.

4. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Thank you guys all for the kind words.

5. iceburgh

iceburgh
    from carlisle

very cool....makes me miss my coupe just a little.
    If ther eis anything you need on the east coast let me know. I doubt you will get out here much any more

6. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

plus 1 on not chopping it, and I dont think I've ever typed that on the HAMB. It just looks "right" the way it is. As they say "less is more" and this is just simple and beautiful.

8. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

IT'S RUNS!!! Well... kinda. Locked myself in the garage for almost a week straight and got a ton of work done. Got the rest of the brake lines run, a lot of little things on the motor buttoned up and just took care of alot of the small things that take up ALOT of time. The car left my garage for the first time on wednesday when I loaded it on the trailer and took it to a friends muffler shop to get the exhaust done. Yesterday afternoon we ran some more wiring, dumped some gas in the carbs and actually got the car running for a few seconds. It was an amazing feeling to actually hear some life out of this thing after all of the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into it.

Still have to get all of the wiring cleaned up and routed properly, get the firewall in, tank and fuel lines back in, back brakes together and get a seat in but I am stoked to say that I'm on the home stretch.

Here's some pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man, your coupe is going to be pretty special dude. I love it!!!

I wish I could lock myself in the garage for a week. You really can't get much done on an hour or two a couple nights a week. Can't wait to see it with a hair cut.

11. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Thanks man

12. Wow man! This is coming together fast. It looks amazing! How about a sound clip with the new pipes? Are those Smithy's?

-mikethegreek-

13. mrdodge

mrdodge

Hell, for guys that "don't know anything about hot rods" you have nailed it well & truly !!!. A sweet car:)

14. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I recorded the start up but recorded over it later...oops. Yeah they are Smithys.

15. synthsis

synthsis

holy shit are you organized. I've got 4 times as much space, but it's full of junk. man, I've gotta simplify.

16. trestles126

trestles126

ah shit son............dont stop get it get it.....need to surf this week

17. trestles126

trestles126

PS you make me feel completly lazy

18. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Ya real nice you guys are out there in shorts and painting outside, not fair, We have snow and it's frickn' cold here. Looks really good, a real hot rod. Keep it up

19. international iron sled

international iron sled
    from san diego

this thing a driver yet?

20. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

To me, this thread embodies the total idea of the HAMB and JJ exactly.

You've inspired me to get off my ass and get back to work on my car.

Thanks!!

21. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Ha, didn't expect to see this thread back at the top. I wish it was driving but unfortunately I work my ass off on everything but my hot rod and haven't touched it in months. Only a few loose ends to tie up so soon.... hopefully.

22. lorodz

lorodz

23. matt--8

matt--8

anymore this thing is killer!!

24. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Small update.... Got the car running pretty good and got a lot of the loose ends done. Still need to finish the brake and clutch lines and button up a few odds and ends and get it goin down the road... gettin close.

[​IMG]

25. Cymro

Cymro

Congrats. I only picked up on this thread today, I don't know how I missed it, nice build style, simple and stylish, no real need for a chop as the look is already there. If your a tall guy it's as well to keep the standard height especially if you plan to travel long distance.

26. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Here's a new thread on the car I started a few days ago...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589856&showall=1