Register now to get rid of these ads!

almost ready to prime question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

First, yes I have searched and spent hours reading here and elsewhere on the topic. I'm just looking for a short confirmation one way or the other.
    Please see the attached pictures, this is the hood on my 59 Chevy and it seams like it would be practice panel before priming the rest of the car
    I'm assuming this is the type of remaining rust that many recommend treating with Phosphoric acid? i have some ready to go and just want to make sure. :rolleyes:
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. Looks Good....however, how do you neutralize the acid? Water???
    Can you flap disc the rust off? Then yellow epoxy primer?

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

according to what i have read, you wash it off. i have used a lot of abrasives to get it to this point. i may try a flap disk just to see if it helps. since the primer is a two part epoxy it may be okay to paint over as is.

4. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

If you do use the acid the neutralizating with water needs to happen while the acid is still wet, not after it dries. If it does dry re apply the acid to reactivate and then wash it off.

5. jimbousman

jimbousman

Phosphoric acid?!? Why not use conventional metal prep. You can treat the rust without the need for water to neutralize. Putting water on bare medal as a final stage before painting can lead to a rust haze which is the last thing you want between the metal and your primer.

6. Im going to guess this thread will ne exactly like the others you have read that make your eyes bleed.
    That ospho is great at rust! Like magic I tell you. But a lot of primers don't like it.
    I have pictures to prove it.

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I use Zep Rust Remover Dip...except now the Cali EPA Nazis have banned its sale here. Good thing I bought extra at HD last year.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

I wash it off with lacquer thinner instead of water, havent had any problems...

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Since I am fairly sure I will replace the hood before the whole car gets a finish paint job I may do it 1/2 and 1/2 and keep track of how it fairs.
    later i can post updates of the with and with out the treatment, sort of taking one for the team.
    thanks for the suggestions and comments