Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

That sounds like it would work. I am a little bit leery of welding the axle and going that fast....perhaps getting it X ray'd would set my mind at ease?

But also, the axle is a little bit heavy, and the steering arms especially.

I'm still thinking about it.

On the rear suspension and frame setup...yeah, I've been thinking about that, and that sketch which shows the tire fitting into the trunk, shows a rough idea of how the front bar mounting brackets would sit relative to the frame. They'd be kind of low, compared to most race cars. It looks like the crossmember that they would attach to would be about in line with the main hoop of the cage, so I was thinking the main frame rails would end there, and there would be smaller rails going to the rear of the car. The crossmember would need to have driveshaft clearance, so it would have either a reinforced opening or notch, depending on where the transmission ends up, relative height.

I'm going to make a decent sized scale drawing of side and top view one of these days. Then it will become clear.

tire trunk fit.jpg

2. kiwijeff and henryj1951 like this.
  3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ Works for me.... but I ain't the one building, Jim is a *TOP SHELF* kinda guy.
    Love following his projects.

I'm a lowly 55chevy kind guy

4. squirrel

squirrel

Good thread, thanks for the link

5. mopacltd

mopacltd

That was a pretty rusty starting point. Jim, yours will be a cakewalk for you.

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I've got an identical Dana 60 rear to the one you picked up thats complete drum to drum, same gears too. It's currently holding up my wall. If you want it/need it next time you're in Chandler let me know, I'd gladly donate it so i don't have to move it again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, wraymen, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm really looking forward to seeing this new project come together. You've got a great car to start with and the Photoshop image is perfect. But please don't use a crappy old I beam axle.
    Look at the cars Don Long and Jim Kirby built in the end of the gasser era for some cool chassis ideas. The rear suspension should probably be of later design (4 link/coilover) but they went 8s back then with some old style stuff that should be fairly street-able with slightly beefier materials.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Perception viewed from every angle possible defies common belief. [​IMG]

31hotrodguy, 6inarow, dan31 and 14 others like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I know a buddy that has a complete one if anyone's looking.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. Wow 22 pages already.
    It took me almost a year to get my build thread up to 22 pages and an incredible amount of work done, with pictures too.

13. Yep, these were optional on mid-60s Ford 1/2 tons. Rare too. IIRC, these may use a different bearing/housing end. Had a friend with one of these in a '67, he had to special order a new replacement axle when the bearing went south and chewed up the axle.

14. I was working for a Ford dealership during these years and being in a rural area, we sold a lot of pickups to ranchers. As I recall, the ones ordered with posi all came with the Dana rear ends. We also did a lot of dealer installs of posi units on the 9 inchers for guys that missed the boat.

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that explains why the used these. I intend to replace the ends with either a Mopar or big Ford 9" style end.

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Narrow the axle . Angle cut the joints to get more surface area to weld to. Drill the axle to get weight out and cut the top and bottom axle rails down to get more weight out. I drilled mine with a hole saw bit in my drill press, cut the sides down with a wiz wheel
    X-ray the welds if you feel the need. I stick welded mine. Remember how much weight they were designed for and how little they will carry when you are done. Looks more traditional than a tube axle.

Bearcat_V8, henryj1951 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

And it's obvious that your Willys doesn't carry much weight on that axle coming off the line!
    KK

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    henryj1951 likes this.
  18. And it's obvious that your Willys doesn't carry much weight on that axle coming off the line!
    KK
    [/QUOTE]

Coming down is the stressful part of going up

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No one ever died in the fall, it was the sudden stop at the bottom that did them in!
    KK

Doctorterry, brad2v and henryj1951 like this.
  20. brad2v

brad2v

If your heart is set on an iron axle, though I'm pretty certain you aren't, an F1 axle is the bang on right width for an early A Mope. I was building a street freak style '66 that I was building some years ago, pretty sure the spring mounts I made are floating around here somewhere. You can have 'em if you wish.

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brad2v you are correct I have come up with a f1 axle for my next afx dart and it will be spot on I am just not sure which year it is however when I done my 64 I didn't have it and I wanted it to be just like it was done back then and I must say the big 11x3 drum brakes on the a100 axle stopped on a dime granted I'm sure Jim will be using disc brakes anyway so it won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I'm looking into some other axle options....keeping in mind that I do want to keep the car light.

enloe likes this.
  23. early mopar tube axles are light compared to I beams

wrenchbender likes this.
  24. The Little Red Wagon had a welded axle up front. I was appalled at how poorly it was done when I saw it at Don Garlits museum.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. What's the hub to hub width you want to be at?

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Datsun pickups from late 50's/early 60's had a beam axle, don't know much about them but many years ago a friend of mine had one under his Lloyd gasser style streeter, a pretty small car.

27. squirrel

squirrel

Around 56-58 hub to hub, I think.

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Forged axle would be nice for the street but not for the track...tough call.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER