Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When you buy a Tig welder, you might as well get a joint jigger, used in conjunction with a degree level, makes great fits for welding. IMG_3554.JPG IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6348.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

I have a crappy joint jigger, which I used on the cage I built for my chevy. I expect I'll want to get a better one for this job. That one you have looks nice, with the solid V block to clamp the tube.

3. as I said on another one of your Tread's

........................................You DA MEN
    Keep it Going you will Overcome Everything

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

4. I find these tools very helplful.[​IMG]

5. squirrel

squirrel

I did some front axle measuring today...looks like the van axle is probably a couple inches too wide, as it is. A couple of the old cars had the tires right out there, but I think this thing would be out further. The drum to drum measurement is only an inch less than the fender lip to fender lip measurement. Oops.

Might be able to narrow it some, might be able to drop and narrow it some. I don't know. Or use another axle.

hurst cuda.jpg challenger ii.jpg

Playing with paper dolls, I think the tires will fit in the trunk ok if I go with the 10.50-30 tire I'm thinking of using.

tire trunk fit.jpg

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

The offset of the front wheels would make a difference on the width of the axle you can use. The two pictures have the front wheels set way in compared to where they are bolted on at. Drilling holes in the axle are both traditional and effective at reducing the axle weight. There is not much axle beam left in the 1st picture!

The paper dolls cutouts make me wonder where you are going to put your arms when you get those tires at the point in the picture, you still have to slide the tires forward somehow, and then you need to stick the 2nd one in. Gene

7. 97

What about a mid 30s dodge/chrysler tube axle? I think from memory some 80s or 90s discs almost bolt on ..kit from https://scarebird.com/
    upload_2017-12-11_17-37-41.jpeg

8. squirrel

squirrel

I have another prospect for the front axle, so I'm going to put that decision on hold for now....

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

10. squirrel

squirrel

I've been thinking about it....

What I really want is an old MAS axle, but they don't make them any more.

bobwop and henryj1951 like this.
  11. I think Ron Pope in Tennessee makes axles to MAS specs.
    Ron Pope Motorsports, LLC

2844 Hodges Ferry Rd, Kodak, TN 37764
    (865) 932-7541

https://g.co/kgs/8gjytV

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Chopit has original MAS axles he picked up a while back..

13. Ron Pope does make the axle tubes for him.

mad mikey, bobwop and henryj1951 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I remember reading about that....

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Narrowing a forged axle is not that hard. I had to cut almost 6 inches out of a f100 axle to fit my Morris Minor. I got the axle for free and it came with discs on it so me being low budget, I used it.

17. 97

I like this program from Tony Foale's site. https://tonyfoale.com/progs/tubemiter.exe
    Useful for odd size and small size tube.... Down load program from link then run it, in settings input tubing sizes and angles ,print result, cut out print and wrap around tube.

18. I am doing some work on a old Falcon Gasser that was built in the late 60s, it has a narrowed Econoline axle in it. I think this was a common practice at that time. This one was boxed on each side after being narrowed. I recall seeing others that were cut and butt welded which was more common.

mad mikey, loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  19. That's a F A R ways smaller than 33x16s you mentioned before.
    Are you dropping tire size because that is what you want to race on or because the bigger tires won't fit in the trunk? And about a foot less wheel tubs would be needed.

20. squirrel

squirrel

The bigger size is if I got some old magnesium wheels, which would look neat, but the sizes that you can find, and the tires that fit them, are a bit bigger than I really want to use.

Since I haven't bought any parts yet, there are several possibilities still open.

I think the tire size I want to run is close to 30x10.50. Like my Chevy, I don't really want to make this a big tire car. That one has been in the 9s with 7" of rubber. I'd like this car to work pretty much the same way, if possible. I don't know if it will...it seems to be unexplored territory. Should be interesting.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. In your class is a weld in X brace required through the door opening as part of the cage?
    The Wizzard

22. squirrel

squirrel

Not that I've seen. It is optional.

cage.jpg

23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Jim where did ya get the cage info? Everytime i look for it in the NHRA book i onky can find statements that i cant follow.

24. Something to think about with 4 bar and wheel stands. How to limit the torque thrust into the Chassis at the end of the bars. How are you going to tie in the mount plates?
    The Wizzard

henryj1951 likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

mcmopar--the cage rules are in the General Regulations section of the rule book.

henryj1951 likes this.
  26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

27. D-man313

D-man313

Having a barracuda, this thread may give me some ideas. Don't think I'll take it as far as you are jim. We'll see you on dragweek!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not quite sure what you're asking... which bars?

29. Rear 4 bar system if your still going that direction. Rear Axle housing mounts are a given. Chassis end mounts are revelant to ride height. The roll bar/cage generally plays a part in where and how the Chassis end gets mounted. Kind of an intagrated unit to the total chassis. Here's a photo of the ones in the AMX. I doubt your going to sit as low as this car so these mounts will be in a different vertical location related to floor pan. Lift and Thrust needs to be taken into consideration when locating brackets.
    Tube chassis 003.jpg

30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jim the 64 dart afx I had I used the a-100 axle I narrowed it 5 1/2" out of the center I made a jig to bolt to the spring perches to set it up i veed it out real good heated it up with a torch then welded it together I smoothed up the out side but left it alone on the inside I used 15x4 cragar ss wheels with 165 tires when I done that it moved the springs right under the stock sub rails and the tires were in the proper spot width wise I had talked with dale snoke at snokes metal shed and that is what he had done on the rampage dart clone he done I would think that the barracuda should be real close to the same track width as the dart

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe and Bearcat_V8 like this.