Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I took it apart, trimmed some, and put it back together. I also added a tube along the top to hold everything together, and put the front valence on so I could get the front end of the fender where it is supposed to be. I think it's close enough, fenderstretch04.jpg fenderstretch05.jpg now.

2. noboD

noboD

Squrriel, I like the wheel out of center on the new version. It looks unfactory.

3. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

loudbang likes this.
  4. Looks great Jim, so glad I didn't comment on the lower body line earlier as it looks like you straightened it quite nicely.
    How long until we get to hear the elephant bark?

loudbang likes this.
  5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I wonder about the hood, without seeing the vehicle some hoods have a taper from back to front. But, I guess if you can do this and it looks good, the hood will not be a issue.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Will this be the mold for glass fenders or are you going to run them?

loudbang likes this.
  7. I like it :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  8. 392

Nice work, great eye for details.

loudbang likes this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Looks Good, Jim. Kinda makes you appreciate what the racers went thru back in the day. Seems like they changed every week trying to get an edge.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  11. HiHelix

HiHelix

loudbang likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Yes. I intend to pull molds from these fenders, but I might not get that done right away, so I might run the steel fenders for a while.

As for the taper of the hood..it will be interesting to see how that works out. I left the "extension" part of the fender, at the back, straight. But there is 3" total taper in the hood from front to back, 1.5" each side. The idea is that the original hood will still fit, and require 15" long straight extension pieces added behind it. I still don't know how that's going to work, but I have several ideas.

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Looks better!

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Nice work Jim, that's gonna be a great looking car.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Are you going to run it a little nose high ? I know you're shooting for first edition funny car and I would assume it will have A/FX influences.

loudbang likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I'd like the nose to sit down just a bit....

kiwijeff, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  17. Looking forward to seeing it Drag Week. I know the kind of effort this project requires. Great results ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. By the time this style car came out (second gen funny car) the front ends were starting to come down. The tires were better (early 65) as racers moved away from the pie crust tires and into the wrinkle walls. The cars didn't need the front end up for weight transfer any more. They also started to lower them do to the aero dynamics as the cars started to approach the 200 mph mark. Better handling was achieved with less air under the car. This is also the time front and rear spoilers started to appear. I think jim is on the right track. It will look correct for the era.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    brad2v, loudbang, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  19. I'd like it to sit nose down a bit

I find looking at pictures helps, it's easier to focus on different things
    Especially when you start cropping.
    Don't hate me now - You didn't ask for it but here's my .02 on my observations

If you want the fenders to look sorta right but stretched , that lower body line needs to come down.

The upper line crests just about the door handle then continues down to the headlight at a pretty good slope and is no where near the door elevation at mid fender and certainly at the headlight.
    If your fender's upper line followed that without violating that line too much it would flow better. The extension has a dip, then the top of the fender at about the first third of the arch violates the line with a bump. Raising the extension and lowering the fender at the headlight would get your flow into mud range. It will never be perfect unless you'd make a new fender top from the cowl to headlight, but it doesn't have to be,

If you'd print these out and cut them up, stretch the blue one out 15 " to scale and cut your pic to line the body lines up you'll see what the metal needs.
    image.png

image.png

Here's one trying to come straight off the door with minimal drop at the headlight ignoring the lower line. It still drops a quite a bit.
    image.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I plan to work on getting the lower line to be pretty much straight with some magical bodywork...and then adjust the front fender height to make it in line with the door. And let the upper line be where it ends up. I have been thinking pretty much exactly as you describe. Thanks for taking the time to make the pictures, it really highlights what's going on.

The thing is, this is an old race car, built to go racing, not to satisfy the styling dept. I am OK with it looking "wrong" to some extent.

It's a fine line, deciding how nice to make it...

Other fender is roughed out.

And I got some stuff in the mail today.

mockup 03.jpg

21. 31Vicky beat me to the punch... Yep, the fender is running 'uphill' just a bit. And I also like that you appear to be filling the 'leftover' stock rear wheel opening. A slight flare around it would be perfect...

loudbang likes this.
  22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

This car is really coming along. Very cool project! Nice work Squirrel

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  23. Looking great.....it's not a Pasedena Art College project but a badass street/race car.

racer-x, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks cool, At first glance that towel hangin on the rack reminds you of flutes stickin up out of the engine bay:cool:
    upload_2018-6-30_12-11-4.jpeg

kiwijeff, HEMI32, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

I did some work on the rear, too. It's fun trying to figure out just how much room to leave around the tire...I perhaps left a bit too much, but it should work ok. I added a piece of small round tubing to the edge.

mockup 04.jpg

mockup 05.jpg

27. hendelec

hendelec

I agree Squirrel, these old A/FX cars didn't have big budgets to worry about perfect body work. They were just happy if their new extended front end didn't blow off going down the track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

loudbang, enloe and dirty old man like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh man. I hope the previous post hasn't open the back door for 31Vicky to chime back in about the wedge affect. ;)

loudbang and enloe like this.
  29. flatford39

flatford39

Never noticed before but that Barracuda definately has some 53 Studebaker lines. Looks really good.

loudbang, squirrel and enloe like this.

30. Phtttt:p:D
    No need for captain obvious here.
    I have my own stuff to worry about.

loudbang, Thor1 and enloe like this.