Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

when someone offers you an old basketball scoreboard, you can't say no. Yes, it works.

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I like your shop. I have at least that many square feet, but can't seem to keep that much floor showing, haha.

warbird1, loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  3. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Ain't that the truth. It looks like squirrel's got one project going.. our shop looks like 8 people each have 5 projects going and theirs only two of us lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. squirrel

squirrel

I got to spend some time cleaning up the shop so I'd have all this room to work in...it was a mess, but after fixing up the old horse shed to store parts in, and spending a few days sorting and cleaning, it's nice again.

I set the block on a dolly, so I could position it to get an idea of what the firewall situation is, etc.

engine mock 01.jpg

5. That is a great mental "connect the dots" project, and everyone gets to see it exactly like it "should" be in their mind right now. Can't wait to see how it looks inside your head!
    I couldn't help but notice your Sun Engine Performance Tester in background. It looks a few years newer than mine and I have never been able to get the O-Scope to work on mine, just the hazey green screen. I know you are pretty good with electronics, is that something an old "Eniac" vintage tech with no real hands on for 30+ years should try and tackle?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. My shop looks like a bomb went of in it. I have to work the vertical. I am waiting on approval for my 2000 sq ft 2 story shop, and have run into a zoning problem. I have the steel building sitting in the yard, and I am hoping to get it done this spring. That will help with getting my shop in order.
    Bob

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Try going from a 30x50 shop to a one car garage and a storage shed. It forces you to be neat.

Doctorterry, AHotRod and enloe like this.
  8. I have the curse, I will never be neat. That was my former life. :)

Bob

9. 63Compact

63Compact

Looking real good so far.

squirrel likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

The Sun machine...got it in 1989, used it until about 15 years ago, the scope display died (it's basically a black/white TV display). I haven't bothered to try to fix it, they are kind of a pain to repair unless you have quite a bit of experience with them.

11. I have had a lot of luck with the old machines by just replacing the electrolytic capacitors when I don't have a schematic.
    One of my hobbies is working on old tube type electronic equipment, and they are a lot easier to repair than the new surface mount stuff.
    I use an in circuit ESR tester to check the capacitors in circuit, and it often saves a lot of work pulling them all. It is amazing that as old as the electrolytic caps are, that most of them test great. I short them out before testing them, but I imagine the machine has been sitting long enough for it to have lost its charge.
    I have a good selection of tubes if you happen to need something.
    Just remember, that if you are going to power up the unit, to start with about 30 to 50 volts and increase slowly to allow the capacitors to re-form.
    Bob

12. squirrel

squirrel

It's from the 70s, so it is a solid state thing...

I might mess with it one of these days, but it's pretty low on the priority list. I can use my Tek 535A scope if I really need to see a waveform on an old car :)

[​IMG]

13. Yeah, I hooked up my 2246 using some wire wrapped around the coil wire, to compare the waveform with my Precision auto scope. No big difference, but the Precision has other advantages plus portability because it is a 12 volt unit that is designed to work while the car is in operation.
    Anyway, the offer of the tubes stands, if you decide to work on it.

Bob

chryslerfan55, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  14. Jeff Osstyn

Jeff Osstyn

Hey Jim, where are you getting your steel from? Do you order it from the welding supply in SV or you go direct to Tucson? What store, if you do? Thanks! Project looking good!

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

Hi Jeff...I've been going to Tucson, IMS on Alvernon at Michigan.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. carryallman

carryallman

jim -i use to build & install over head rail tracks for sun & snap-on in the 80s for there new machines! a lot of them machines like yours -was just shoved off in dumpsters -at gas station/garage sites ! & several of them was not damaged ! i was stupid -i should of dug them out & stored them somewhere ! most of them was 1 owner -minor use ! but owners had to have new ones to do the computer cars ! ive seen kids look at them & be completely amazed -by the lit-up screen ! i guess you cant save everything & still have storage room? i have 1 dist machine -thats in perfect cond. -just dont use anymore- are you going to byron this year ??

17. squirrel

squirrel

not planning to go to Byron, I expect to be frantically trying to get this car done in July.

Runnin shine and enloe like this.
  18. I recall hearing years ago that a lot of Sun's scopes and other test equipment was often leased to dealers and independent shops. When the leases were renewed or equipment was upgraded the older machines were crushed or otherwise scrapped by Sun to keep them from re-entering the market. :(

I think the same practice was also common years ago with pin-ball machines and juke boxes. :oops:

19. 4tford

4tford

I'm following this thread. Barracuda and hemi great combo. Followed your other builds very interesting reading. I run a turbo400 behind my 392 hemi plus a ford 9 inch works well for me. Good luck on the build.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I figured I'd give the MOPAR driveline parts a chance on this one...they used some pretty stout stuff back then, and I'd like to keep it in the family if possible.

21. Hey Jim, I'm basically a Chevy guy myself and just to mess with peoples heads, the next build is a Model "A" with a blown, injected 398 1st gen Hemi. At this point most don't know what to say anymore ! :D Figure I've got to give all the brands a shot at it.

22. squirrel

squirrel

are we having fun yet?

body mock up 01.jpg

23. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I sure am.......Looking great......

loudbang likes this.
  24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Milk crates... the Engineers have arrived!:D

It's looking good man. Keep steppin'

ClayMart, loudbang and enloe like this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks like more fun than is legal.;)

loudbang and enloe like this.
  26. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Is the long front frame an illusion, or will the fenders be stretched a considerable amount, not just getting relocated wheel openings?

27. squirrel

squirrel

The fenders will be extended about 15 inches, as well as have the wheel opening moved 6 inches forward. And the rear wheel openings are 8 inches forward.

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm having a ball, and its not costing me a dime! I'm finding its a lot more fun when its not your own money you are spending. I enjoy helping my son spend his money as well. My project is moving pretty slow these days, it takes longer when you have to wait for more money to put into a project. Gene

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I like the way you incorporated the fish plates to serve as the rear spring mount. Did you use your mechanical CAD program for that?

30. squirrel

squirrel

nope, I just sketched it on some scrap paper...