Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, I saw it...that's the same car that's in my first post on this thread! :) and the one that got me started.

2. The original MOPAR aluminum boxes work real well in a side steer application. Some people actually prefer them for a hot rod box.

Atwater Mike, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, if I had one, I'd probably try to figure out how to use it.

4. They are like hen's teeth anymore. I got feelers out for one or some now. Not much luck so far.

5. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jim;
    Neat thread, n car build.
    Q on the Al 'vair box, & maybe I need correcting.
    IIRC, those are a bit lightweight, & from what I remember, not recommended for cars over ~ 2500lbs. (From streetrod stuff/info since the late 60's). The cast iron boxes could handle more weight, but still, ??? Even w/the backset hemi in the 'Cuda + the altered wheelbase, won't it be a little on the heavy side for that box (safety margin/etc). Not rippin' you, just really curious, since you drive the wheels off of your stuff.
    TIA.
    Marcus...

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, this car is light in front, but not quite as light as an unloaded Corvair. But I did take a heavily loaded Corvair on a long trip last summer, no issues with steering.

I think it'll handle it.

loudbang likes this.
  7. dan@larescorp

dan@larescorp

Jim,

I have a couple of those MOPAR aluminum steering gears. Both standard (6 turn lock to lock)and fast ratio (4 turn lock to lock) Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like more info.

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  8. canning

canning

Shuda'-Cuda'-Wuda'

BJR likes this.
  9. Hmmm... A Barracuda from Arizona... :rolleyes:

"Fish Outa Water"

:p

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Seen the AWB 66 Barracuda on E-Bay? Item #263412800427. Blown BBC. some build photos that may help.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, someone posted a link to an ad for it.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Once again, the HAMB subscription service let me down:mad::confused: Been following this thread since soon after it's beginning, glad I found it again.:cool:
    As to the choice of camshaft grinders, no denying that lots of the guys that have been grinding cams the last 40-50 years are still around, but it's also true that lots of them are living in the past on their designs, and that may be why they are still almost unknown except in their region. The big guys like Comp cams, etc. employ graduate engineers, have the latest in computer software, dynos, etc. There's a limit to how far you can go and survive the ordeal of driving these cars from track to track. Some of these guys in Drag Week even use a special set of low ratio rockers and matching pushrods to survive the trips to next track and change back to race trim to still win at the track. IOW, it's a "Whole 'Nother World".:)
    And since I live only 2-3 hrs from Atlanta Dragway, I'm hoping to be able to see both the start and end of the tour this year.:D

Willy_P, warbird1, norms30a and 2 others like this.
  13. What's the plan on cooling this 1000 horsepower on the street?
    Or is that still up in the air? Curious how you see this as a whole.
    I know it's early, but I'm curious.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

While this is true, there are other means to getting a cam design. There are engine builder's that experiment so they can be on the cutting edge. One need only think outside the box and talk to people within the industry but outside of it a bit to get what they are looking for.

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

Right now the plan for cooling is to put in a huge modern cross flow aluminum radiator, and either a big mechanical fan with shroud, or possibly electric fan(s). I like old stuff better...but it also has to work. fortunately there will be plenty of room for the cooling system.

16. I was thinking of weight and plumbing, a water pump.If it was just for drags or just for the street it would be easy.
    Radiator in front I assume> Fuel cell in front too?

17. squirrel

squirrel

Radiator in front of the engine, fuel tank in front of the radiator.

18. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jim - am patiently waiting for September 12 when you'll be here in Charlotte. Haven't seen you since 09 or 10 @ Bonneville, but have followed your adventures with both the '55 and Plan II. It'll give me a chance to see Turk, too, tho I did see him Ohio a year or two ago (ask him about the track length tire stripes our roadster left).

vic

19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

The perks of finding a thread after the car is completed, you can read the whole thread at once... this waiting is killing me!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

squirrel likes this.
  20. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

How much fuel? Perhaps a small racing tank and an easily removable street tank to leave in the pits with your street tires and tools instead of carrying an extra 20 pounds or more of tank down the track. Street tank could be sitting in brackets and held with ratchet straps. Show up at the track, drain remaining fuel into 5 gallon jugs, unplug fuel line, remove tank, fill racing tank and go run 8's. Just my idle thoughts.

loudbang likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't want to have to mess with fuel like that, so I plan to have a 15ish gallon tank. I have only looked a little bit, this is one supplier I've found. Mooneyes only makes 10" diameter, and I want more capacity than that.

http://shop.spunaluminumgastanks.com/12-inch-Tanks_c8.htm

1934coupe likes this.
  22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Oh hey, I just remembered, a buddy of mine was building a tracked vehicle for moose hunting and had limited space for a fuel tank. He ended up building a 15 gallon aluminum tank shaped like a seat with backrest for his passenger seat and used velcro to attach pads to it. Fuel filler is right behind your neck. One strap about where the seat belt would go holds it in place. Lots of options.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Some ball valves would take the draining the Street tank of remaining fuel part of the equation out I’d think, should you decide on that sort of thing

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Good looking tanks and the price sounds good to me. Couldn't see a weight for the tank I looked at.

25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Lots of dry break fittings available. Think outboard boat motor, but industrial style. Show up at the track with enough gas to race on and get back to a gas station and wouldn't need jugs. Not having a support vehicle adds a lot of limiting factors.

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Is a tenth or two worth f$#king with gasoline, that stuff will kill you. No need to get nuts. It's bracket racing also.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  27. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

It's not my intention to be argumentative and it's not my car or my thread, but if my math is not too far off, it seems like if you find 5 or 10 places to cut a 10th or 2, all of a sudden you're a full second quicker.
    I'm an old dirt track guy who doesn't know how much gas a blown hemi uses in one pass or how many passes will be made in a day. But, gas weighs about 6.5 pounds per gallon if you use 10 gallons in a day and a big tank weighs 15 pounds more than a little one, you're starting your day 80 pounds heavier than you have to.

I'll shut up now and go quietly back to my corner to watch the proceedings.

Doctorterry likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

It is a valid point, that having less fuel in the car will make it go faster. I've been playing this game for a while, of getting the fuel level at the right spot on the way to the strip. One problem with my Chevy is that it has a stock tank with an added pickup that is not in a good place (because of the way the tank is shaped, it slopes to the front, not the back), so I have to run with more fuel in it than I'd like. This new car will be better about that, but I'll still probably have an extra couple gallons in when I run.

I just don't want to have to mess with fuel, it's messy and dangerous and I don't want to have to carry any other gas containers in the car, either. I'll sacrifice a hundredth or two for that.

29. The MAN say's a hundredth or two........Not tenths....... Spoken like a TRUE racer. Gotta luv it!