Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical All things Lake Pipes

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledsel, Mar 8, 2022.

1. My wife's '59 Dodge had them on for about 10 years, we had the Mooneyes ones with the caps, they were functional, we would open them up at some shows.

I really want a set for my '57 hardtop, but I don't believe they make the correct length for '57 Fords anymore, so you end up with a slightly too short look. So a custom made set is in my future.

Also I would say they are much cooler when connected, if done properly you can have electric or manual Y pipes installed to to open them up when you want.

I have yet to see a set completely rusted away, it might just be what are the weather conditions you drive in, also do you clean them if the notice they are dirty? One thing we did notice is some rust from the inside out. just some of the engine condensation from not having them opened enough

As for likes- dislikes- the ones with the molded body on front part, just have to be done right. Otherwise it kind look like a condom on your pipes.

Dont forget belly burners on trucks too.

Also not that proper vintage style ones seems to be 1.75" diameter, some newer sellers have 2.00" or slightly larger and they look too thick!

Oh yeah some '57 Ford need them to get the right look, Im sure this might turns in to what is a good lowered stance debate, but you can have a good STATIC lowered car that is drivable with some lakes pipes or have a Lowrider where you dump it down, no lakes pipes, but lift to drive. To each their own, but most actual 50-60 cars were static lowered and the rest was help with the pipes.

here are some cool ones- somehow all Ranchero
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  2. Sledsel

Sledsel

"I bolted mine to the inner rockers, bent the bracket 90 degrees. You could also use nutsert's--- rivnut's."

I will try that nutserts, looks like that will do what I need. My Edsel has zero room between the frame and rocker section. It's much like a 59 Fairlane in that way so that would not work.

Abe, speedway has 70" and 80" pipes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Yeah I see those, those are 2.00" pipes, it matters. I going to build some 1.75" ones, like motorcycle pipes. I think I asked Moriarty what size the OG pipes he's got.
    Also note that the rocker panel on Fairlanes are slightly longer from the (non-Fairlane) Tudor/Fourdoor, wagon. I have both and just found this out this week.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm still looking for a ribbed set.

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

91103462-6922-42ED-975B-B045636CAF67.jpeg
    Straight pipes can be extremely load. Would you like to be able to hold a conversation inside your car while driving?

6. Sledsel

Sledsel

For her pleasure?

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

and mine.....

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Mine are absolutely quiet at cruising speed. They only get loud if you get into the pedal, and even still, not bad. I have a flathead of course so that's quite a difference in sound than a sbc with straight pipes.... But yeah, mine are quite quiet.

54delray likes this.
  9. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Lmao

10. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

I plan on installing a set of pipes (fully functional of course) on my Merc, I just haven’t decided if I wanna run singles or triples yet

210superair likes this.
  11. Triples and some of the funky cap designs are the offshoot kitschy stuff. I mean there must have been some actual 50’s cars with triples? Also are two just blanked out anyhow?
    I just measured for my car this weekend. I’m at about 74-75”

12. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

I think they come in a 72” and also 80”, either way I’m not sure what I’ll go with, the triples look badazz on a Merc, also I’m not sure if one or two of those exits are dummies or not, I’ve heard fully functional lake pipes (triples) that sound pretty wicked ( with a Flathead of course)

13. Taboo has had a couple styles of lake pipes over the decade. Used to have them under the rocker to make the car look lower. Hard to tell in the photo if they were hooked up, I dont they were. Then it had them in the rocker in the 90s where they were molded in somewhat. Both Chrome, the 90's era ones were in good shape. We cut them off the car and gave them a buddy to put them on his 59 El Camino and they still look good today. They are not hooked up and just for show. He keeps polish on them all the time. The original set was just bolted to the bottom of the rocker and not to the frame.

1959 Side profile.jpg 11140_105542859459477_209153_n.jpg

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My old 51 Merc .Chrome non functioning. [​IMG]

15. I've had these (functioning) mounted on my sedan for about ten years now with no damage to the finish (chrome). When uncorked behind the 350 they are loud (very!) upon acceleration but, as 210superair says, quite livable while cruising.
    FleetPipes.JPG

-Dave

16. If you can’t find exactly what you want for pipes they are super easy to make. I couldn’t find any short “kick stand” lake pipes so I made some for my 39. I love them. Cost less than $100 in materials, stainless of course.
    2F09360B-C4F9-44C8-B568-93082EA3B7C4.jpeg 686847C3-8202-47CD-9DA3-50101473F6C2.jpeg CA0C185B-54DA-4A9F-83A6-2A3CA1BA8DED.jpeg

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Cue the custom haters....

Sancho and abe lugo like this.
  18. Let me jump in here again... the secret to straight pipes is to run them out past the rear bumper. I have straight pipes on my 39 Ford and inside the car you can barely hear them. But yeah, straight lake pipes that dump on the side right in your ear can be annoying.

19. topher5150

topher5150

What about using something like this to each pipe?
    wlk-17676_oh_xl.jpg

20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE