Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All The Twos: 1962 Mercury, 352cui, 2bbl, Too Many Doors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneball, Oct 28, 2023.

1. You can re-use that pulley spacer, by installing a speedi-sleeve. It presses on, and gives the new seal a smooth place to ride.

Oneball likes this.
  2. Oneball

Oneball

Bottom end all stripped. Crank looks tidy.
    IMG_5965.jpeg

Ran a hone down the iffy bore, still iffy! Will hopefully get back in time tomorrow to have a better go in daylight. Whatever an electrician tells you is a good number of lights in your garage, double it.
    IMG_5962.jpeg

3. If the "iffy" cylinder and piston were caused by coolant or water finding its way into that one bore, usually it should be pretty visually obvious. The combustion chamber, valves and the top of the piston tend to look like they've been steam cleaned with hardly any trace of carbon or other deposits. As for the water in the crankcase, make sure the PCV system is intact and working as it should.

Algoma56 likes this.
  4. Oneball

Oneball

I think whatever happened was a while ago as all the valves, piston tops, combustion chambers look the same and are just carbon-y from running to rich, the choke heater tube is blocked. That also means it’s not really been burning oil so fingers crossed some new cast rings and a hone will see it good.

No PCV on this just a road draft tube but I’m going to fit a PCV system when it goes back together.

Algoma56 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. Oneball

Oneball

Ordered one, we’ll see if it works.

Algoma56 likes this.
  6. Oneball

Oneball

Everything is honed or at least honed as far as I’m willing to go. There’s nothing particularly bad left, there’s still some pitting in the one pot but it’s going to be better than before which seemed ok.

Took forever, my coordination is buggered since my accident, can’t do one thing with one hand and something else with the other.
    IMG_6003.jpeg

Cleaned the top of the block too. Just a couple more gaskets to come off and tap the front oil ways for fitting the later style cam thrust plate. Then clean and paint.

7. Oneball

Oneball

Loads of bits turned up today. IMG_6044.jpeg IMG_6047.jpeg IMG_6046.jpeg IMG_6045.jpeg

Still waiting on the custom cam I ordered in November though, don’t really want to put it together till I get that as I’d like to put the cam in first for ease.

Modified the block to take a cam thrust plate; removed the two oil way plugs and tapped to 7/16-14.
    IMG_6055.jpeg

Really didn’t like the amount of thread engagement available to give sufficient clearance to the oil feed to the bottom of the dissy so modified it to give the oil room to pass a longer bolt.
    IMG_6056.jpeg

williebill likes this.
  8. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

If you go felpro blue vs original steel headgasket, you gotta mill the heads.
    Or lose power.
    I feel you know this allready.

Oneball likes this.
  9. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Myself, im some cases very lazy ass.
    This full overhauled overbored line bored etc 390 has wait allmost 2 years to go in my colony park.
    I dropped it on the ground and dent oil
    pan and that piss me off very baddly and its still waits new inspiration. 17053358064632740562739448464296.jpg

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love this Thread Tim.. awesome.

Oneball likes this.
  11. Oneball

Oneball

I found a list of head gasket compressed thicknesses somewhere and was pondering what to do. Can’t be thicker than the hideous silver thing that had been fitted on the passenger side though!

12. Oneball

Oneball

You’ve just got too much space! When you’ve got no room you can’t leave stuff.

13. Oneball

Oneball

Managed to get the oil filler tube out of the original manifold without completely buggering it, which I thought was a bit of a win.
    IMG_6070.jpeg

Put a sleeve over the crank damper spacer, fingers crossed.
    IMG_6071.jpeg

And cleaned and painted the bit of rust under the washer bag and battery tray.
    IMG_6068.jpeg IMG_6069.jpeg

Final sucked all of the oil out of the back axle, I reckon it’s taken about 4 hours in total as it was properly gloopy. Looking at the service book, sealed for life isn’t a new thing :eek:. Think I’ll run it for a hundred or so miles with new oil and drain again.

Also pondering whether I should change the trans fluid now while it’s easy or later when I’ve got a running engine. I’m going to have to run the cam in in the car so maybe best to do a trans service later.

williebill and bobss396 like this.
  14. Oneball

Oneball

Looking for a bit of advice on tyre sizes. I’ve got some 15”x7” slot mags for it, what’s the thought on 215 vs 225?

dpKXWzS-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. Oneball

Oneball

There seems to be a world shortage of cam blanks for Ford FEs and the licensing people over here want to inspect the car and it needs to be complete so need to try and find a cam that is on the shelf somewhere, anyone got any cam suggestions for a basically stock 352 ?
    I’m thinking possibly Edelbrock Performer or Comp 262xe

16. A 215/70R-15 will be very close to the same diameter as the OEM 14" tires @ 27". A 225 will be slightly oversized. If you want more 'meat' on the back, a 255/60R-15 will 'match' the 215 fronts for diameter but you'll need to measure wheel backspacing to ensure clearance. A 4.25" backspace should center the tires in the wheelwell.

Unlike the '50s era Fords/Mercs, the '60-64 cars have roomy wheelwells, you could fit even larger/wider if wanted with the right wheels. I've got 235/60-15 front on 15X7 and 275/60-15 rear on 15X8 on my '60 Ford, they clear without rubbing with a 4.25" backspace. I calculated that even a 295/50R-15 would fit in the rear but would need a custom backspace of 5.25" on a 15X10 wheel for clearance.

Tow Truck Tom, Algoma56 and Oneball like this.
  17. Oneball

Oneball

Thanks @Crazy Steve that kinda confirms what I was thinking. Probably go with 215.

Algoma56 likes this.
  18. I run a 235-15 on the back of my car. Getting them off is a bit of a chore, they fill up the wheel well quite a bit. I run 215-15 up front.

Oneball likes this.
  19. Oneball

Oneball

I might get a couple of 215 fitted that’ll be for the front and see what they look like on the back before getting another 2.

20. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

I have performer plus cam in one of my mercurys.
    Its smooth idle good low end and smooth as Silk idle.no rumpety.
    And colony park engine got xe262 but havent started it yet, so no comments.

Algoma56 and Oneball like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Tim.I have heard a great many things about this shop... from FE owners.....
    https://deltacam.com

Algoma56 and Oneball like this.
  22. Oneball

Oneball

Thanks both I’ve found someone with a Performer cam on the shelf, they’re shipping it next week.
    Apparently it’s cam blanks that are the issue, even the likes of Comp and Crower haven’t got any and don’t have a date for when they’ll get any.

Next piece of the jigsaw is a cam thrust plate. They’re pretty elusive too, found a couple on eBay but won’t ship and none of the big guys seem to have any.

Never having had a Ford I thought everything would be super easy to get :eek: , they made millions of them didn’t they!

23. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I have a few extra cam thrust plates, may even have the bolts too. Let me know if you need one sent.

24. Oneball

Oneball

That’d be brilliant if you could, I’ll send you a PM

25. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Send me a address, I will look into getting one sent.

26. Oneball

Oneball

Thanks to the generosity of @Flatrod17 a cam thrust plate is now wending its way via carrier walrus from Alaska.

27. They should be fine. My front is dropped a little (cut coils) and the tires will hit the inner fenders at times. The disc brake kit shoots the wheels outward just enough.

Oneball likes this.
  28. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I think I sent that by dog sled... them lazy walruses are to slow!

29. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

30. Oneball

Oneball

That Breezeaway looks fab.

Finally got above freezing here so dug the jet wash out and cleaned and painted the block.

IMG_6119.jpeg