Register now to get rid of these ads!

"All the hard work is done..." ATHWID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucklz, Nov 17, 2011.

1. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

I tried a search to find if another Hamber has ranted about the "All the hard work is done..." but to no success. So here is my rant;

How many of us run through the ads on here, CL, Ebay, Racing Junk, etc and see the disclaimer ATHWID listed as a selling point. I would beg to differ. While all the technically intense labor, such as boxing the frame, hanging suspension, setting the motor mounts and any other myriad of major fabrications, may have been completed by the seller or his predecessors the really labor instensive (hard?) aspects of the build is still to be done. Granted it takes great skills and a well equipped shop to get to the final assembly stage of a build. How many hours have you spent running a wiring harness, throttle linkage, plumbing or fitting exhaust compared to fabbing a cross member?

I make this rant not because I bought someone else's uncompleted project but the year mark is coming up since I decided to make an OHV/AOD swap in my '49 Baby Lincoln. I drove a perfectly running car into my buddy's, Karknocker, shop (By shop I mean his driveway and two stall basement garage at his house which he lives with his infinitely accepting and lovely wife with their two boys) only to yank the mill and chop the front end off. Make no doubts that grafting the M2 stub to the remaining frame took mad skills which I could have never done without Karknocker as well as placing the BBC/700r4. We had spent a disproportionate amount of time plumbing the brakes compared to fabricating the mount for the power booster and master cylinder. I won't claim it was not an imposition to him or his family but at the 8 month mark I finally got it out of there with ATHWD.

Since then I have spent darn near every free moment I have, much to the lament of my lovely and just as patient wife, doing the little stuff. The saying of the devil is in the details doesn't scratch the surface. I would venture to guess the foot feed and throttle linkage has taken 16 hours of labor, which includes rebuilding the carb, correct adjustment of the detent cable and mounts for the return springs. That is more time than it took to place and weld the stub. I hope to have her on the road shortly. Each day I work on her another little task is addressed and sometimes even checked off the list. But,

ALL THE HARD WORK IS DONE...

2. It usually means "I have collected all the parts I THINK I need to build this car but have no clue to go about it so I am selling it."

3. The mock up is the fast and fun stuff... then the "Real Work" starts!

Just because it's a roller... don't make it done.

4. Hank Turd

Hank Turd

Also known as...

"I have completed a few major parts of the build. You get to finish all the small bits and pieces of the project that take 10 times longer that you ever expected."

5. Well I am real sorry you ruined your lincoln by putting a Pinto front suspension under it.

You're coreect it all the piddly shit that makes a build tedious. The welding and reshapeing etc is the fun part and the rest of it is just a pain.

Uh is that what this thread is about or am I missing something.

6. sbin

sbin

One of my good friends is a 3rd generation master carpenter and he would always say the last 20% is 80% of the job.
    Finishing all the details correctly is the difference between a great ride and a pile of stuff taking up space in a garage.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pinto front: Right on! LMAO!

(I'm also amused at people with large, majestic old homes that replace the sturdy foundations with plaster of Paris)

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. sbin

sbin

I always enjoy buying stuff from people that spend money then move on to the next toy without finishing anything.
    Lots of great deals to be had but you need to look at a lot of crud priced like it is worth whatever they saw one sell for on a tv auction.

10. henry29

henry29

I usually buy my projects by what they are and what I can see, not what the seller tells me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  11. sbin

sbin

Usually more like all the hard work needs to be done.
    Looked at a project today that was better than advertised.

12. B Blue

B Blue

90% done, only 90% left to complete the job. Building a house is a lot tlike that. Get the roof on it and you think you have really accomplished something. Shit, you just got started.

Bill

13. Flatman

Flatman

A modern metaphor for "I've bit off more than I can chew".

Flatman

14. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Lmao! I think this all the time I am about to, working on or just finished working on her. I am still withholding any real judgement until o finally get to drive her at modern highway speeds with power steering and slowing with honest to goodness power disc brakes.

I am heading to the shop to puddle some more as I type.

It is a "sienfeld thread". It's a rant about nothing lol. Just needed to blurt it out...

15. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Haha piddle damn you auto correct

16. 62rebel

62rebel

down here they call a car like that "turn-key".

as in, turn the key in your tow vehicle and drag the POS out of my driveway after you hand over a grand or two for a rusty shitbox that the seller "can't find the title for, but i know it's here somewhere".......

it must be a bitch when Gramps dies after accumulating a field full of cars that miraculously became 99 pointers and the county says they gotta go in thirty days.

17. Yours isn't as bad as mine, I just reread my post it is full of what I usually dig other about. I aint changin' it give 'em someone else to bag on. ;)

I am still trying to convince myself to head to the driveway. I guess if I would just back away from the computer.

Hey is ATHWID the new "ran when parked"?

18. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Winner, winner; chicken dinner! LMAO

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Are you enjoying the build? Or are you only focused on the drive? Sounds like you're not enjoying the build and it's frustrating you. My build id going slower than I'd like, but I make sure to enjoy every part of it. Gonna work on it tomorrow morning actually.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm so confused. :confused: Ranting about how much work it takes to build a hot rod? Isn't building hot rods and customs what this site is all about??

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I always loved that I did it,each time I do,but there are a few min. when working I think it's taking way to long to get this right:eek: