Register now to get rid of these ads!

All American Soap Box Derby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Jul 12, 2012.

1. mow too much

mow too much

Very neat, the need for speed starts early.:)

2. raymay

raymay

I think it is great that you would like to see this racing back in Detriot. The Soap Box Derby used to be a big deal in Rochester, New York back in the 50's and 60's. Although we never built a car to race, our dad used to take my brother and I to see the races. We would later make our own creation from old wagon parts and wood and spent hours running and crashing our ride down the alley hill at the end of our street.
    In the early 90's a gentleman named Mark Scuderi wanted to bring the Soap Box Derby back to Rochester. He started with support from local buisnesses and government representatives. Our car club Rochester Street Rods got involved helping design and building the ramps. We also sponsored and built a car with a youngster from a local group home.
    It was a big committment that was very rewarding and fun. My big thrill was taking off from the starting ramp and racing down the hill in one of the larger test cars we built. Brought back some good memories and a little safer than racing down the alley hill.
    The Derby is once again a big deal here in Rochester thanks to Mark Scuderi. Rochester has even had some winners over the years who have competed and won at the big event in Akron Ohio. You can search for him and I believe the Rochester Soap box Derby website is GRSBD.com. If you want to get things rolling in Detroit, talk to Mark and I am sure he can provide you with some valuable information.
    Good Luck

Attached Files:

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

congrats!!! its always cool when somthing (you) built winds up on display for the world to see

as for Re Building the race here in Detroit
    Its still a dream but hey dreams come true somtimes