Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alfa Romeo twin cam banger motor, like OFFY or Fronty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Jul 1, 2011.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

So, go ahead and give it to me guys! I saw a 60s Alfa Romeo spider at a car show the other day and I notice the cool little all aluminum twin cam 4 banger it had. I thought "wow thats a neat little motor" and it looks similar to an Offy or a OHC Fronty Ford head for a T. I know this isnt really "traditional" or whatever but I thought it was cool. Might make a cool swap? Plus they come with a 5 speed trans.

After looking into what makes up these motors I was quite impressed. The cylinder head alone is quite a performance piece (cross flow hemi head)! Take a look at a couple links here with some history and good pictures.

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_twin_cam_engine.shtml

http://giuliettas.com/category/working-on-my-cars/sprint-abnormale/1300-rebuild/page/2/

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...nted/180078-1300-high-pergormance-engine.html

Can you see it now? A couple of Winfield carburetors on a custom manifold and a nice lakes style header!

Anyway, food for thought-

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There's a little roadster I've seen at the local Billetproof or Sac Autorama a few years back that had an Alfa drivetrain in it. I thought it was different. Wasn't bad, just not my style.

If it feels good do it! :cool:

3. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I think it would be a fun project but there are too many other things on my list for now.

4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

had a t roadster pass through my hands that had an alfa romero driveline in it, looked like a mini hemi, v6 fuel injected with a 5 speed, neat looking if you were into that sort of thing

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Raced Alfas in the '70s. Don't have any old motors but I do have a 1500 and a 2000 Fiat DOHC four and both a 4 and a 5 speed. Very similar looking and free for the picking up.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Neat little motor. My father owns an early sixties Alfa Spider Veloce.

7. Mart

Mart

They are nice engines, but are tall, and on some the sumps are wide and oddly shaped (think hammer head shark).

I put one in a thames 300E van ad ran it as my daily for a few years in my youth. Also ran one in a 32 roadster (glass) and had an unfinished T bucket project with one.

Mart.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you loose the OEM side draft Webers you will be sorry. Otherwise, it's one of my favorite I-4s. Go for it. Gary

9. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

We just sold this one this spring on eBay. 1965 Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale. It had a 1600cc. With two of the cylinders at low compression that car still ran like a scared rabbit. My wife inherited it. The car sat in a hangar for 30 years. I would have loved to keep it but it would have been way too much to restore it.

Attached Files:

10. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Alfa DOHC engines are pretty neat little motors. They have separate drop-in cylinders so to rebuild one you replace both the pistons and cylinders and it's fairly easy to do yourself. Parts aren't terribly expensive. Plus the '70s engines have a neat mechanical fuel injection setup that works well once dialed in. http://www.international-auto.com/engine.cfm

They're fairly easy to find, check Craigslist for a rust-bucket Spider for the drive train, and you're going to want an Alfetta oil pan. I have a '73 as my current project.

Mart, do you still have the Thames van? I remember the build thread.

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Yeah I know but webers are not very "OFFY" like If you are going for a traditional disguise.

12. vert1940

vert1940

local guy here in the dayton,ohio area has one in a 32 roadster with a 4 or 5 speed...it looks fantastic..has a lot of people scratching their heads.i'll bring my camera to the cruise in tonight...maybe it will show up

13. Mart

Mart

No, sold it a long time ago.. You might be getting it mixed up with another as it was pre internet, so no build thread. Here's a pic however:

[​IMG]

You can just make out that I fitted the motor slanted to the side, I also fitted it a little off centre, to get the wide sump and twin weber's in there.

Mart.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Brizio built a neat little Alfa powered '27 modified for Jim Stroupe several years ago:

Attached Files:

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the brizio built 27 modified is awesome , bet it sounds tough , and is a blast to drive

16. Roy's ride

Roy's ride
    from Michigan

Often thought of doing the same. A poor mans Miller special. Not only put in the motor but the brakes put Buicks to shame and the rear end looks like a quick change. I actually have a a 1750 on the shelf waiting for the right roadster. Rivrat have you checked SS prices lately. Sorry she ended up with it....

17. simon g-s

simon g-s

A little jewel of an engine, put one in a Topolino as the transaxle gave a real small trans tunnel, you need that in such a small car. I rebuilt the engine and thought I would blue print it, waste of time, did not have to do a thing, idled down to 700 rpm, revved to 6800, smooth and tractable.
    Traded it for a pretty devon pickup that hid a mulitude of bodgers sins, just one of my many i lconsidered killer deals.

Attached Files:

• 1415.jpg
      1415.jpg
      File size:
      265.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1445.jpg
      1445.jpg
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
  18. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Wow, this is great!

I do remember seing that Brizio T when it came out, but that was years agao and had forgot about it.

19. flatford39

flatford39

I am sitting on two 2000CC inline fours. They are great little motors and I would really like to build a speedster style car with Alfa power.

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Alfa engines are very nice to look at and make good power but for the look and less money whynota miata? lett he flames begin.

21. Cub8556

Cub8556

God I love me some Alfas. beautiful cars and motors.

22. gearguy

gearguy

Anyone using the Chevy Trailblazer I-6 or the I-4 and I-5 versions from the Canyon/Colorado pick-up? Very nice looking Offy/Jag looking motors, US origin, & ought to be cheap in the pick-n-pull.

The 6 is rated at 290 HP from 4.2liters (256 cubic inches). 5 cylinder is 3.5 liters & 4 cylinder is 2.7 liters [pretty big for a 4 banger].

I've been thinking about the 6 for a Lenecki Indy car replica.

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Heres the 2 litre Alfa in my Watson roadster!

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

24. Cub8556

Cub8556

:eek: That thing is gorgeous

25. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Very true...BUT the Alfa motors came out in 1954 so they fall into the "traditional" pre 1964 acceptance.

I had to take my work truck into the local ford dealer a few years back and they gave me their "loaner" ranger (2wd 4cyl and 5 speed) to drive. It had a dual OHC 4 banger in it and it ripped serious ass! I was very impressed and enjoyed the thing so much I called them and told them I couldnt return it untill later the next day because I was "out of town" :) they probably had to get new rear tires soon after i brought it back because of all the burn outs and 2nd gear scratch I was doing :D....

26. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

totally bitchin!!!

Beautiful!!!!!!

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Love those too.

My Pops had a '59 giulietta veloce when I was a kid. He bought 2 of them and made one good one. I remember him cutting the bad one in half with an axe across the floor so we could take it to the dump- as they didn't accept whole cars. He put in the 5 speed and dual side-draft webbers, and it was painted red oxide. He drove it year 'round in New England without a top. I can still remember riding home from football practice when I was 9 yrs old haha! That was 1976/77.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"You can just make out that I fitted the motor slanted to the side, I also fitted it a little off centre, to get the wide sump and twin weber's in there."

The Veloces actually had the motor tipped slightly to one side right from the factory, to help the webers clear the inner fender panel.