Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Alexandria by the Alexandria Brothers. Where is it now?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lothiandon1940, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. While perusing the March 1964 R&C, and enjoying the interview of the Alexander Brothers, it dawned on me that I don't remember seeing pictures of the "finished" Alexandria. At the time when they were doing work for the Ford Custom Car Caravan, they were working on what started life as a '55 Ford 4-door Sedan with of all things, Pontiac quarters functioning as bedsides for a pickup. It was to be powered by a 406 Ford engine, but I can't remember ever seeing magazine coverage of the completed project. Help us out Rikster.:)......You surely have some pictures or more details. How about you, Mark. Do you have this beauty squirreled away somewhere in a warehouse?;) I remember seeing pictures and coverage of the Deora, but not the Alexandria. Always loved the Brother's work.

Attached Files:

2. Bigger pictures so you can read the interview......:) 07152018_0001.jpg

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

4. ..................That's interesting. I wonder what happened. I really liked the concept drawings and the preliminary work that was done.

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

The Alexandria was sold by the Alexander Bros. to fund a paint booth in their (then) new shop.

From there, it seems to have slipped into the ether.

Here's a link to the H.A.M.B. thread with more info and pics: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=21445

EDIT: Bleach beat me to it!

6. So sad if the car was ultimately unfinished and subsequently crushed. Would be great to see a competent shop or individual revive the project by way of a clone. I'm sure there must be a '55 Ford 4-door somewhere out there just waiting for its' glorious moment in the limelight.:D

7. Can anyone elaborate on the history of the Alexandria?

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since I was looking for the pictures I sent to the '60's hot rod page, I happened across another Harry Bradley rendition of Alexandria. That gullwing hood is wild. Scan-180715-0001.jpg

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One cool idea that never got completed. I have wanted someone to build a similar/identical version ever since reading about it here on the HAMB.

10. Nice El Camino.
    Just kidding, don't shoot!
    Thanks for posting the article, Don.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Alexander Bros. really had a style all their own. I really feel like their work was done with the intent to push automotive design forward. Much moreso than Barris and even Winfield, who's designs got more radical, but also more gaudy. The A Bros. were all about clean, trim design, crisp lines... You can almost envision this car pulling up in front of the Stahl House. Gorgeous design. Would be killer for somebody to bring the concept to life.

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Posted this on a thread earlier but worth repeating. img484.jpg

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

As scanned above in the first post but with the caption below. As stated in the 63 Custom Car Annual. Scan0675.jpg

14. ....................I agree completely. Great explanation.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A couple of years before he passed away Mike Alexander told me that he thought the Alexandria was in New York. He tried pretty hard to find it but couldn't

16. Thanks so much for that, Mark. Hope this may indicate that the car still exists somewhere and wasn't crushed. Mike must have had some clue that it was still around to have searched for it.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not sure. He had said that it got sold to a guy in New York. But he had not heard anything about it for decades... I hope it is still around, but it is unlikely.....surely something would have been done with it by now.

18. Thanks for all of the insight everyone.

19. The search is on! :D

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

There are so many cars in warehouses/garages/backyards that were collected by the previous generation, only to be left to rot by the current generation of caretakers because they've got no clue what they have... I bet that it's still out there...

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. Just not sure which generation I belong to.:confused:

Bowtie Coupe and lothianwilly71 like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The same drawing in the upper corner appeared in Rod and Custom in 1966 when the sketches of the Deora were featured.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Great information everyone............thanks.

24. I loved the Deoria and built several models of it in the past.