Register now to get rid of these ads!

alabama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gofast62, Jan 4, 2004.

1. gofast62

gofast62

how old car friendly is it down there?

2. now thats a random question

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

What do you mean by old car friendly? The environment?..the people? Availibility?

Brian

4. gofast62

gofast62

trouble with inspection, registration, what can you run an get away with[mufflers,fenders,glass, how low, ect.

5. Kustm52

Kustm52

How's this...no inspection, you can register a car (pre '73) with a forged bill of sale on the back of a napkin...never personally had any trouble with any of the other points you mentioned. Matter of fact, never know anybody that did either...of course it varies from town to town. I do know some redneck racers who have been stopped for open headers...if there are any laws on headlights, glass, etc. I'm not aware of it.

Now, the bad side...you have to drive 400+ miles to meet any like-minded people...if you like musclecars, plastic/tweed rods, or mustangs this is the place for you! NO traditional (as most of us here see it) rod and custom stuff at all...I'd bet there's less than 100 cars in the whole state I'd classify as a custom. And forget finding any old tin earlier that the forties...it's just not there.

Brian

6. fishtank

fishtank

Sounds alot like middle georgia too.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

ya'gotta look harder.
    i know there's gotta' be some vintage iron in ft.valley

8. Kustm52

Kustm52

Dammit, I have been looking harder for about 20 years now! The only problem is, some of the things I passed over as being too rough to fix...not knowing better...I would love to have now. Found an unfinished chopped A coupe in a chicken house once..tried like hell to get it..found out it was sold about 10 years later for $400 [​IMG]..then there was the '33 or '34 2-door in a yard just outside of B'ham...looked like it had been chopped with an ax! For you GA hambers, I did find an A doodlebug (tractor conversion) at the used tractor place in Culloden...

Brian

9. k9racer

k9racer

Are you thinking of relocating to Alabama? I am in NE Al. but as kustom 52 said lots of tweed cars and restro rods not many customs.The area is very old car friendly. Lots of good shows and get togthers in mid tenn and north ala. If you come down give us a PM.Not to much bulls**t from the local law on old cars. Property tax is cheap so is tag fees for cars. Antique tag they issue these to hot rods any thing older than 65 35 dollars and never buy another tag. I have a antique plate on my daily driver and never been checked or hasseled. If you need to know more about the area from Tenn south to Birmingham PM me and I will give you my tele no. Bobby..

10. Kustm52

Kustm52

Hey k9 I was thru Huntsville the 31...didn't have time to stop though! I was coming in from Ardmore on .... well, anyway, that two lane from Ardmore. Saw a junkyard on the right coming into town that looked like it might have some interesting stuff...know anything about it??

Brian

11. k9racer

k9racer

K 52 you were less than 2 miles from my shop. The yard on the right belongs to a to a collector has some very buildable cars that are for sale example 41 pont 2 dr, 50 olds 2 dr, 46 ford nice and a lot of others. About 30 miles from here is a yard with 2500 cars mostly 50 and early 60. If you come again give me a call or PM.

12. k9racer

k9racer

GF 62 sorry for hi jacking your post. As for mufflers I have never had on on a motor cycle in 46 years of riding and never got a ticket. Drove a fad T without muff for 6 yrs. no prob. Around here attitude has a lot to do with the interpertation of the laws and rules.Old cars do not have to have seatbelts if not equiped with them NO retro fit required. I drive my race car on the country road in front of my shop to check it out.

13. luckystiff

luckystiff

south alabamy would be about the same as what the more northerly guys said. i grew up in dothan and my mom and brothers still live there. my family has wanted me to move back for a while now. but as said above not much in the way of people with or mindset. i can say that when i moved to north carolina i was shocked at the cost of cars. alabama i could find most anything cheap. i don't think i ever paid more than $500 for any project ever usually with a little digging i could find most anything for $100 or so. the guy that owned the first shop i ever worked for had alot to do with that though. i may move back down that way someday, but probably no time soon...ken....

14. fishtank

fishtank

Hey k9, wheres that yard you are talking about?

15. k9, you talkin bout the old man in west point?

16. k9, im gonna make a trip to hang with you soon.

17. Gracie

Gracie

Wanna buy a house? I have one for sale in Bluff Park, Alabama... that's on Shades Mountain overlooking Birmingham.

18. k9racer

k9racer

The yard is in Fayetteville Tenn. It belongs to a sometime difficult man by the name of Claude Holt. I am one of the few people he will deal with. You have to let him know when you are comming as he does other things ie show horses and hunting. 40 oz I will PM you on any events in the area.

19. hey man, please do that. im getting real boared being the only one here.

20. k9racer

k9racer

Gracie Would you be intersted in doing some tradeing I have some property in Pratt City, Ensley and Docena.

21. Gracie

Gracie

No trading, sorry... I have property also in West Blocton, and I grew up in Fairfield/Ensley/Wylam area! hahaha I have to sell in order to buy a place out here in Vegas. I really miss the Bama real estate prices! I can get a mansion in Bama for what a shithole costs in Vegas... but then... do I want to live in a mansion in Bama or a shithole in Vegas.... hmmmmm I think Vegas! [​IMG]