Register now to get rid of these ads!

airride hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custo-michel, Apr 11, 2008.

1. redrico1

redrico1

yea guys just turn the other cheek.

2. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I will have to agree for the most part!!

-COS

3. DrJ

DrJ

Innovation is traditional.

Welcome to the HAMB, custo-michel.

I just gotta know how you're going to know when it's low enough when even the road it's rolling on is below sea level? ;) :cool:

4. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

Traditional rodder,now there's some words that could be an oxymoron.Only because traditional rodders in the 30's,40's,50's and 60's were thinking outside of the box.they were innovating by using things people said wouldn't work,using things people would never consider until someone else had done it first.Think about that

5. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

If you're doing it to be accepted,than you're doing it for the wrong reasons in the first place.

6. Meyer

Meyer

I don't post here much, very cool place though. Mainly search and lurk.

I am on 10 different forums of these type though, have been going back about 7-8 years. All these guys who are quick to type a bunch of shit act like pussies when you meet them and would never repeat the same garbage if you met them. Pretty hilarious.

7. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

I can not agree more

8. Ain,t that right. Not only that but just about every street over here has speedbumps these days.
    Only place he can drive the car is on the freeway which ain,t gonna happen either 'cause he,s never gonna get the thing through registration inspection anyway. ( unless he already has it registered as a restored car}

Michel, PM sent.

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

pISSES mE oFF tO.

10. xtralow 60

xtralow 60
    from houston

Very well said. Its your car do what ever you want with it. I just finished a 34 Dodge built this way. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

11. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

0210071439.jpg

1021061740b.jpg

1021061742.jpg

0413071935.jpg
    I thought one of the original parts of any custom or hot rod was stance? Ever heard of "IN THE WEEDS"? Airbags are just the newest way to achieve this look. I love all styles of cars, I have the original flathead in my merc, just wanted a really low look. How else do you keep all of your work nice, adjust the ride height- that's how. Just my thoughts on the subject. Plan on building a 32' all steel highboy next (no bags). Build it how you like it, your the one that has to drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Phillychop

Phillychop
    from Philly

You bash air bags and people that use them but no one has anything to say about Ryan and his ipod??? Bags are 50+ years old ipods are 5
    Hypocrites:mad:

13. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I'm glad Clark finally showed up. His cars, and the ones he's built with the other So-What guys, are awesome cars. Bagged out back and everything.
    Jeezz, relax guys.
    And the keyboard tough guys are great entertainment. I've had a few chat my way in the past, and then meet me in person. Let's just say, it's a different tune once they see 6'1 340lbs. looking back at'em.:D

Carry on...

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I think where some of the confusion lies, is that there is a difference between making a car just like the way it would have been done back in the day and what a hotrodder or customizer would do today giving the tech. that is now available. There is a difference and a fine line for sure. On one hand, building a traditional car means making it just like it would have been made. On the other, it means making a car sympathetic to traditional hotrodding using the same mentality but with new tech. as is available. (Let's forget about using new tools for the minute and that side track). I am not going to take sides on that and it is not for me to say anyway. Just want to point that out as some may not be considering what others might be thinking. But, I think those are the 2 sides of the same coin people are trying to get at.

But the other distinction people still seem not be too clear on is that not many people seem to have a problem with customs with bags, just hot rods. Hot rods are about performance and I am not sure bags help too much with performance. They do help with looks and stance and that is why customs have them.

I tend to lean towards not using much new tech. myself. I enjoy the part about the car feeling old too and not just looking old. The way it drives and the way it sounds, the parts that always break, points that wear out, trans. not quite right, steering not race car quality. To me that is just part of the deal and part of feeling like you have an old car. But, that is just me. I even have an elec. dist. on one of my rides, but still has a gen. I might even put a FM radio in it one of these days.

15. BBobb

BBobb

Very well put!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth an remove all doubt!!!!!!!!!!1

16. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

fortunately for you guys, i'm not one of those people. ask anyone who knows me, i would say any of that to someone in person too. it's not my problem if the guy on the other side of the jab doesn't realize the jest at it and takes it personal. it's their bad attitude and i'll be happy to point out the folly.

on the so-what cars, you don't see the bags and they aren't there for the purpose of laying frame. there's a difference between using them for proper function versus laying frame.

and no offense grumpy, but i don't think you could catch me if you wanted to hurt me ;)

here's the thing though...he's doing that so that he doesn't have some modern device showing (radio cut into dash etc) and interfering with the traditional vibe. figure it out dingus :p

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

If Ryan had a DIN sized CD player sticking out of his dash that would be one thing... but the IPOD is totally hidden...

out of site...

nowhere to be seen...

get the hint?

18. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

It's still in a "traditional" car though.The minute you put anything other than a stock unit back in the ride,it is no longer "traditional"

19. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Traditional doesn't mean stock....Just to throw that out there. And what you can't see and or don't know about...can't hurt you.

20. Sam_Fear

Sam_Fear

I always thought of traditional hot rodding as building as much as possible with your own two hands with the best parts you could scrounge up.

But hey, what do I know, I'm a FNG --- somebody roast me...

21. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Don't worry some one will...the coals are getting warm...Do you have your own skewer...or would you like to barrow one??

22. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

I was only speaking in the terms of stereos

23. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Was gonna keep my mouth shut on this thread, but here's my 2 cents worth. Got bags on the front of my 37 sedan, the 40 pickup Im building got bags all around, I like em slammed, not to mention the ride you get with bags, anyway what the hell do I know, Im just a dumb ass street rodder.:cool:

24. raaf

raaf

old arguments, old news.

...but a word of advice about that photo posted above. historically, people that have posted it have heard about it (and personally) in short order. i found that out myself. FWIW, i realized there are actual people out there. parents, people who deserve a little more respect.

25. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

What a crack up!!!!!! The guy wanted help & well, he got HELL-p!!!!!!!! NICE GUYS, GOOD JOB!!!!!!

26. SKELVIS

SKELVIS

Just Wanted To Type Something So Someone Could Bitch About The Way I Type, Sorry Its All Caps...... Dont Know Why It Turns Out Looking Like That.

I Love Baggs, Rides Great And Lays Rocker Not Frame

27. sasquatch alley

sasquatch alley
    from Fresno, Ca

Do what you want, its your car and you have to live with it.

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

This is a funny thread...for real. Bags belong somewhere where we don't see them. Any fender modifications or additions of "bubbles" on the front fenders to hide suspension components (either bags or IFS) breaks up the lines on cars and makes them suck. That's That.

29. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

are digital cameras and internet traditional hot rod forums "traditional"?

30. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

So if you use a 1957 radio in a 1929 car it's not trad.?? I have a 1960 Ford round radio in my 1929 A, and a 1960 somethin' Chrysler In car record player going in my '22 T Center Door. The 'T' has roth style coils in front and bags in the back, the bags are hidden similar to Clark's T though, or they will be when the body gets all cut up to put on the frame I've never tried it out on, just going off measurements.