Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airguide Instrument Co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Oct 15, 2006.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Has anyone ever heard of this brand of gauges? I recently bought a pretty cool tach thats made by Airguide Instruments out of Chicago, IL. I had never heard of them, nor seen another guage from the company, so I did some research and it seems they are boat instrument company thats been around since the 30's. If I had to guess the tach looks to be from the mid 60's to early 70's vintage. My question is, can I use this tach in a car or being that its a marine application, is it special? It only has a positive and negative lead coming off of it, and two wires for the light. I have never tried to use a boat type gauge on an automotive application, but since I didnt know that it was for a boat when I got it, I would still like to use it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Vintage performance boats came with them and alot of those were v8 centerdrive, the first "Airguide" set I saw was in a nailhead powered 20 ft Century "parisian?" from the middle-early 60's - I don't know why it wouldn't work for a rod motor.

s.

3. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

4. speedy pete

speedy pete

I picked up an Airguide tach at a garage sale and realized I needed the sender. Went back next day and got the sender. You may need the sender for your tach. I decided to send mine off to Williamson's in Arkansas to have it updated. It is a cool looking tach heavy chrome and ideal for a columnn. I plan to use it on my shoebox.
    Speedy

5. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

What sender? Like a tach drive unit? I thought you just needed to hook up a wire to the negative side of the coil and then provide power and ground and the tach would work. **EDIT** I tried loosley hooking this up on my dads car and it registers, but it reads high and will not rev above 4000 RPM. I am not sure if I am hooking it up wrong. Can you provide some contact info on Willamson's and how much it was to update it?? Thanks

6. If it reads high I suspect maybe its for a 6 cylinder. I don't know about the not registering over 4000.

s.

7. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thats sorta what I am thinking as well. Any idea on how to change these, if at all possible? Also can you tell me more about the Williamson's place? What did they do, how much did it cost? Thanks

8. speedy pete

speedy pete

The sender was a sealed plastic resin unit with 4 wires. Williamsons # 479-369-2551. I don't have the tach back yet. Called today they had just started on it. They use a new updated electronic sender and set up the tach for 12volts. I did not try the old sender because the wires were brittle. hope this helps. $/?
    Pete

9. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thanks for the info. Where does the sender go? Do you have any idea how to tell what # of cylinders its set up for?? I think mine may not be right for an 8 cylinder.

10. speedy pete

speedy pete

Sorry not sure how the sender is wired in. Also not sure how to tell 8 from 4. Williamsons will help you by phone.
    Speedy

11. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i got an old airguide tach that used the transmitter. it didnt work, but the tach is very cool. is there someone who can rebuild it to work like a new tach without the transmitter but still look original? i would love to run this tach in my truck or ford!

12. pastlane

pastlane

Last year I had a couple of NOS Airguide tachs for snowmobiles.