Register now to get rid of these ads!

airbrush restoration paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage_car, Dec 13, 2013.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car

I am restoring a porcelain sign and wondering if anyone had some experience in this arena. I have the areas that were damaged fixed and leveled with body filler. it is time for paint and thinking that the small areas would be easier to repair with airbrush. I have used some hobby waterbased paint, but it lifts off very easy. enamel paint maybe more durable, probably better gloss too, but never used it before. looking for any input.

2. NAES

NAES

The very, very little i have done has been with 1 shot enamel. Its thinnable, sandable and featherable and buffable. Should be good enuff for ya.

3. vintage_car

vintage_car

cool! sounds like what I need. Will give it a try. Do you know what you thinned it with?

4. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Go to a good Hobby Shop (NOT Hobby Lobby or Michaels) - Hobbytown USA is one example. There are a number of good hobby enamels and lacquers that might help you. The people there should be able to help set you up with the right stuff.

5. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Naptha works. Buttermilk consistancy. if it sputters its too thick.

Dont use a harbor freight airbrush.

Paasche VL 3 is your best gun ~ for $48 from.bearair. Dont buy a kit with a 6 foot hose its too short. By just the gun and a 10 foot hose.

Mix ur color and use the side bottom feed steel cup.

Hobbylobby sells blast caps that can be screwed directly on bottles of wicked or auto air. Both are ok. For your purpose id use one shot or house of kolor ~ any decent auto paint joint should have HOK in small tins usevtheir reducer. Hot or slow depending on the conditions in your shop.