Register now to get rid of these ads!

airbagit.com?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder52, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking of bagging my 67 Caddy. Any body use a kit from airbagit.com? Much cheaper than air ride industries, but I don't want crap either. Any luck?

2. Try HAMB members Alex Gambino or kustombuilder.

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

airbagit has junk parts

4. DollaBill

DollaBill

"Much cheaper than..." should be your first clue. Resist the temptation to rationalize critical parts/purchases on the basis of cost.

Basically, you answered your own question.

Airbagit is one of the myriad subsidiaies of what was/is AIM Industries of Gilbert AZ. They have been extremely successful over the years by imitating industry-standard components and having those components manufactured...elsewhere.

Regardless of whose parts you purchase, remember the following: an air bag IS a spring, and therefore MUST have shock absorbers. Front and back, each wheel. Period.

An air bag IS a spring, and to "act" accordingly, MUST have an independent fill and dump valve. One fill, one dump valve for each bag. Period.

An air bag IS a spring, but they DO come in different configurations. On a '67 Caddy, you will need a 7" or 8" diameter convoluted front bag and a 6" convoluted rear bag. You will need to trim a significant amount of the lower portion of the original front spring area to get the proper size bag to fit. Under NO circumstances allow yourself to use ANYTHING smaller than a 7" bag in the front. Period.

An air bag IS a spring, but the spring "medium" is NOT the rubber, it is the air "captured" inside the rubber. Accordingly, the bag needs air to function, and the more reserve air capacity you have, the quicker the system will function. Use a 10 gallon tank, and MAKE SURE you get one with at LEAST 6-8 ports...at a minimum, you need one port for EACH corner.

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

X2......Airbagit=JUNK.

6. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

X3 airbagit is junk

7. big creep

big creep

yes parts are crap, but the bags are good as back up bags, like say one blows on the side of the road. buy a couple of cheap ones and have them as back up just to get home with.

8. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hmmmm... pm sent to kustombuilder. Gambinos are on the wrong end of the country. Sometimes cheaper is not crap, thats why I asked, especially when air ride tech thinks their products are gold plated. I will se what kustom has to say about an instal in the caddy. Thanks for the feedback guys

9. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

try suicidedoors.com getting ready to bag my truck and got the same response on airbagit.com look them up and you will find a lot of negative shit about them.

10. garagebuilt51

garagebuilt51

everything i have bought recently from them has been good. i have used their valves bags mac strut kit and all is good. i will be using their vales and denominator bags on my 51.
    and now they are so afraid to piss anyone off that if you have trouble with anything they will make it right real quick.

11. drflex

drflex

ride tech is having a sale now 4 shockwaves for 1K

12. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Would bump stops solve that problem? I'm an air-ride noob. :cool:

13. big creep

big creep

yes but if you want to be in the weeds, you dont limit the drop with bump stops. or if you are going to keep bump stops from keeping you from going all the way down, dont bag it, just lower you ride. thats just me!

14. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

Dont do it !!!!!!!!! Its junk!!!!!!!

15. i wouldn't touch anything from AIM Industries or the boat loads of other names they have sold junk under for many years. We tried their stuff and it was always crap and customer service was worse. I think you can trace them back to Ratical, the mini truck convertible conversion people in the eighties. Just my Opinion but I would RUN from their stuff.

16. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

Don't do it!! Check out suicidedoors.com or Gauge Magazine for air ride parts

17. air bag it sucks, if kustombuilder can't help..hit me up I just did my own personal car a '68 Caddy on air bags..just sold it about a month ago I have a bunch of picts on the install before,during,after

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Suspension, like brakes, are about the last place you want to try to save a buck.

You say that Gambino is at the "wrong end of the country". You are in the middle, so why does the particular end matter?

Alex Gambino is here on this board, is an Alliance vendor, and is out and about in our scene here. He is not just sellin' stuff like AIM Industries, he's a builder too: http://www.gambinokustoms.com/

Others mentioned above are good too, but I have to throw down for my local.

19. Choptop

Choptop

got as link or a phone # for this sale? If so... I'm in.

20. howco

howco

Quality is worth the money........

21. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

not only do they sell junk they will substitute with what ever they want an wont make it right when you call them on it

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Gotcha. I'm over laying frame, personally. It doesn't look right to me anymore.:cool:

I guess I'll just do a good-ol'-fashion spring whackin'.

23. jscoma47

jscoma47

Slam Specialties air bags are American made. Do yourself a favor piece together your own kit of high quality American made components. Its gonna take longer, its gonna cost a bit more..... Its also gonna last longer and you may just be putting some food in the mouth of one of your american neighbors.

24. still seems way too pricey for what it is...you can get complete setups for around that price range

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2. They seem like a product designed to replace a coil-over without doing any more work. If you need that, then go for it.

If you have to fabricate mounts anyway, why not just use a conventional bag and shock? More size/stroke and brand choices, no proprietary parts, fewer complaints. $380 vs. $1000 (on sale) is not a hard choice for me.

I am a fan of Slam Specialties bags. They are all I use these days. They have internal bump stops. Unless requested otherwise, I set up everything to be 2" off the ground when on the bump stops. That way, if there is a bag or component failure, the car can still be moved, if only onto a trailer or a flatbed, without damaging it. Slammed is cool for the fairgrounds, but you have to get home, somehow.

26. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Like HOTRODDON said Junk, I had a prob with them many many years ago nothing fit, their customer service told me "its the right parts I dont know what to tell you" So I tried to stop payment but by then they had changed their name AGAIN so there was nothing I could do. I was able to use some parts but the money I tried to save cost me twice as much.

27. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Once you try a $ 5,000.00 Hooker, you'll never go back to the

$ 50.00 Hooker ! ! !

28. DiabloCustoms

DiabloCustoms

so how many have Actually used airbagit products and not just"oh a friend of a friend"
    i've used em once and didnt have to many issue they next day aired me my parts and upgraded

29. erlomd

erlomd

ride tech is where its at in the bag industry, a budy of mine just put a shockwave system on his camaro and wow what a ride! then again coilovers will do the trick as well, try to steer away from cutting the springs the good ol fashion way, that is a garantee for a bouncy ride. not cool!