Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airbag front end shock placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tokyo, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hey guys, looking for some advice or pictures if you have any.

I put airride on the front of my merc and now need to replace the shocks to the outside of the frame. I am pretty sure I should locate the lower shock on a stud on the lower a-arm and the top of the shock off of a bracket on the top of the frame. However, I wanted to know or see if anyone had some advice on this.

And how to find what shock size to use? Anyone do this and have any problems? I am seeing a potential problem with the wheel when turned all the way to one side.

If you have some wisdom, please let me know.

tok

2. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

i did that on my 51 ford the only problem i have is i cant turn as sharp. the tires hit the shock.

3. The shock mount on the lower control arm should be as far outboard as possible. You will most likley loose some turning radius.

I opted to go with ShockWaves so I wouldn't loose turning radius, It came at a $$price$$ though.

4. fms427

fms427

You got the basics right. Mount to the rear, and move around until you get the least amount of turn angle restriction - there WILL be some ! Also, make sure the tire does not hit anything sharp when it turns. I use shocks from 80's Chevy pickups - readily available and about the right length.I like the upper shock mount that supports both ends of the bolt (like AirRide Tech supplies). Have fun!!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Fms427,

are you talking the front shocks from those 80's pickups as well do you mean s-10, or full size?

thanks for your input guys. I was anticipating losing some steering but I didn't know where the right placement would be.

tok

6. burger

burger
    from burbs