Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Compressor question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by f100newb, Mar 15, 2011.

1. f100newb

f100newb

Yes I searched and read a mess of threads. :D

I do not have the money to buy another air compressor that is sufficient for some of the tools I have so I ask have any of you guys ran two compressors together to get the correct CFM for blasting or painting. If so what is a good way to set that up? I have a 30 gallon craftsman 5.3 cfm @ 90 psi and a 4 gallon Hitachi 4.4 cfm @ 90psi I use for my wood work.

2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Pairing up compressors is no problem. Some compressors actually have two pumps and motors on the same tank. You can just "T" the supply hoses together, turn on the power, and you have more pump and more receiver capacity. Realize that you will need an electrical service capable of running them both simultaneously. It will be easier on the electrical supply if they don't both start simultaneously.

I have run a 7 1/2 HP and a 20HP together. The 7 1/2 was the primary, so I set the pressure switch to have it start first. If the pressure fell below the pressure setting on the 20hp it started and ran until higher pressure was restored.

3. ^^Yep what he said.

4. f100newb

f100newb

Nice. Yeah I just did an all new panel box and did a separate panel for my garage. I planned to save and buy a nice compressor but for now this will have to do.

5. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

I would also consider a larger tank. 34 gallons isn't alot.

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

You may have to change pressure switches though to get away from the fixed differential. They probably have a 20-30psi differential now, witch may make it difficult to get them to run properly.If both switches are set to come on this way they may try and start at the same time even if you set them to cut out at different pressures. Almost 90 percent of the time household type circuits cannot accept this. You may get lucky if you can make sure they are plugged into separate breakers. Honestly the electrical may be the biggest issue.

7. You could also just get another tank. Most auto parts places sell air pigs or buy an old compressor for the bigger tank and plumb it to your existing compressor.

8. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

You need to watch your duty cycle on those small compressors, make sure they can take being run for 30 minutes at a time or whatever you are planning to do. An extra tank doesn't really help all that much for sanding or blasting since you have to wait for it to recover, and you can burn through a lot of air in a hurry with a blaster.

I got myself more air by building up my own compressor out of ebay parts. I got a fresh rebuilt Quincy type 216 compressor for $250 and a brand new WEG 5hp compressor duty motor for $220 and mounted them on a tank I already had. Quite an improvement over the old 2hp system I had, its good for 100% duty cycle, quiet, and rebuild parts are easy to get if it ever needs it.

9. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Good call on the duty cycle!!! I even forgot about that. You scored pretty good on that motor and pump set up, we cant even touch those WEG motors for under 400. Good score!