Register now to get rid of these ads!

air compressor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulie_boy13, Oct 2, 2006.

1. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

2. KingpinOlds

KingpinOlds

Paulie that looks like a pretty good option, you would probably need to take it easy with a sander because the compressor is only rated at 6.6 cfm @ 90 psi and most da's consume at least 5 cfm @ 90 psi..

Sorry I didn't call last weekend it was crazy and this past weekend the little woman wasn't feeling up to visitors. Anyway let me know when you guys find a place, I should be able to help you move.

Rick

3. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

we found one we are movin in two weeks........

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

for the price, the CFM of that compressor sucks. it's rated the same as a 20 gallon compressor that will cost less than $200. i would try to find a way to run a 220 line. they are really quite simple to wire as long as you have an open spot in your breaker box.

5. pitman

pitman

Agree! The starting current drops by ~50% w/220 volts and the whole system runs better. I have used a dryer or elec stove source.

6. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

thanks for the honest reply as I dont know that much about them.... Looks like I need to do some more homework....

I do have a 220 dryer plug near the garage ( not in, but near). would I be able to run an extension cord to power the welder and compressor until I can afford the wiring job on the garage or is that asking for a fire.I will check for open slots on the box ( I need two correct?)

7. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

My 220 is about 30 ft from the house...I just have a really long cord and wind it up every time after I use it....its just the copper wiring and is kinda stiff, spend a little extra and you can get the reallly flexible stuff thats like a big extension cord. There is nothing more agrevating than having to wait to build pressure or water coming out from it overworking....just buy a bigger one and youll be happy, remember you have to live with this thing a while. Buy right the first time and dont kick yourself in the @ss everytime you go to do something (tellin ya from experience...)

8. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

thanks for the heads up I dont like buying things twice so heres what i found that I think will cover what I need ( and then some) .... I found this one, its steeply priced for me but the specs seem decent.. its an Ingersoll-Rand ( what do you think about that brand?)

Motor: 5.0 HP/11.5 Peak HP - single phase motor
    Volts: 230 Volts/30 Amps
    PSI: 18.1CFM @ 90PSI/ 15.5CFM @ 135PSI
    Max PSI: 135 PSI
    Tank Size: 60-gallon vertical
    Pump: Oil lube cast iron belt driven pump
    100% cast iron cylinder
    Belt guard shields flywheel and motor sheave
    Air Outlet: 1/2in. NPT
    100% continuous duty
    Tank includes drain, relief and discharge valves
    Meets OSHA standards
    Drain System: Manual Drain
    Start Up Kit: 1592008 (sold separately)
    Dimensions: 20in.L x 30in.W x 71in.H
    U.S.A.
    Model SS5L5...

my question is that it says 230 volts but I thought the house only supplies 110 or 220 volt.. so would I need some kinda step up device to run this compressor..... also it says 30 amps, thats the amps rating for most dryers correct so I could run this off of the dryer outlet with an extension cord as long as that dryer IS a 30 amp plug .....sorry of its a stupid question Im just trying to learn.... thanks for helping

9. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You'll be fine, lots of manufacturers use 220v and 230v interchangeably. The problem arises when you have 208 volt service.

Check the compressor manual to see if you will need a magnetic motor starter or "Mag Box". The pressure switch contacts usually aren't up to switching a 30 amp load without burning out so they use a big relay called a mag box (same principle as a starter solenoid only really big with thermal overload built in).

If you need a mag box, it will probably cost you about $100 - $175.

It looks like a great compressor for shop use. With proper maintenance it should outlive you.

Shawn

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

MUCH better! you're not gonna get much better than an IR. the voltage SHOULDN'T be a problem. but it might. i've been told that some of the more powerful motors on compressors NEED the rated 230 volts, or close to it, it can be a problem when your supply voltage is 208 volts, which is what some areas have. this situation is really a rarity though. i wouldn't even give it a second thought.

as far as the dryer plug, it should work fine.

11. The IR is ten times the compressor the other is and will last longer than you with regular maintenance. As for the power source, get the largest diameter wire you can to run the compressor off of, you don't want to cause voltage drop and increased amperage draw. You will also need a breaker or fuse for motor starting because of the startup draw of the compressor motor. You definitely want to put a starter on the compressor as well. The pressure switch will not handle that many amps arcing across it for very long.