Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air compressor issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billsat, May 20, 2012.

1. billsat

billsat

I have a 60 gallon Craftsman compressor that's about six years old. Last week it quit building air pressure. It still runs, motor sounds normal, but no pressure. Can anyone give me an idea what the problem might be and some idea what it might cost to repair it? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Does it have an unloader? If so, it must function after start-up. DD

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

4. Some have valves that are not like an automotive valve with a stem,but are more like a flat washer/or solid disc shaped......
    when they get older they loose seal and are not very effective,so when running it is bypassing the valves ,and not building much pressure..
    could just have to tear it down and inspect the pump parts closer to decide what is goin on in there.....
    As of late Chraftsman stuff is of a much lesser quality..IMO
    i BOUGHT A NEW 5hp 80 GALLON IN 1977........
    it ran 30 years with no rebuild but that was then.....

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

Does that compressor have reed valves ??? if so that could be your problem. I had a very old compressor given to me 25 years ago beacuse they said it could not be fixed, I figured out the problem and made new reeds from 2 new putty knifes, dont laugh there still in there and working today.

6. If you have a compression tester with the rubber plug on the end, use it to see if the pump is building pressure. At least you'll know for sure where the problem is...

7. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

If it's a oil-less pump like my old, 60 gallon Craftsman, take a look at the piston and ring assembly