Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Comp. Electic Motor Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod31, Jun 1, 2008.

1. HotRod31

HotRod31

I am having a problem finding a replacement motor for my Home Depot (Yea I know) air comp.

It's a 2 stage,80 gal. 175 psi. the sticker on the tank says 7peak HP but the tag on the A O Smith motor says HP SPL. It has a SF. 1.15.

Can someone shed any light on this or suggest a motor.
    More Amps means better right ?
    Would more HP with a less SF. be better ?

I Have narrowed it down to these 2, any suggestions ?

HP RPM VOLT AMPS. S.F. FRAME PART#

5 3600 .. 230 ..22.0 .1.15...56HZ...B386
    6 3600 .. 230 ..24.0 .1.00...56Y-...B387

And to keep it on topic I need my comp. to start sanding on my Trad.32 truck:D

Thanks, Mark

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Get a replacement with the same amps. More is better to a point.

3. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

TP Tools. good high quality stuff and reasonable prices. 7.5hp single phase compressor motor is very exp. near twice a 5hp single phase compressor motor. (compressor motors are spec'd differently for duty cycle or ?

4. GTS225

GTS225

Lionsgarage hit it. Compressor motors have a different duty cycle for the same horsepower. I suggest you stick with the equivelant horsepower and service factor.
    BTW....more amps only means more horsepower, and that rating is the full load amps that the motor is engineered for. If you discover that any motor is pulling more than the FLA, then there's something wrong with the motor, or it's trying to work harder than it was designed for.

Roger

5. MP&C

MP&C

What frame No. is your motor? I have a rewound motor sitting here in the shop, frame XL56, 5/8 dia shaft, hp SPL,rpm 3750, 120/240 15.0/7.5 amps. ????

6. HotRod31

HotRod31

From what I understand an SF. rating over a 1.0 is a short cut $$ to get more hp out of a motor. That why I was thinkin 6 hp... 5hp x1.15 sf. = 5.75hp

The one I have is only 17.3 amps,( can't find any replacements that low, figured Home Depot cut cost) it didn't last 3 years in a Home shop. Most are 20-22 amps.

I don't mind spending a LITTLE more money to get a better motor.
    The motors I listed are compressor ( continuous). duty

Thanks for replys, Mark

7. HotRod31

HotRod31

MP&C mine has a 56 HZ frame, 7/8" shaft. :(

Thanks for the offer, Mark

8. HotRod31

HotRod31

One bump for the night crew, then I'll let it die.

Thaks again, Mark

9. 33mopower

33mopower

I have the same compressor and had to buy replacement parts for it. Bought them thru outdoor distributors but anyway the parts manual has the motor listed at 4hp. You can buy a replacement motor thru Outdoor distributors but I am upgrading to a good 5hp dayton 1600 rpm motor from Grainger($400-500) so I can upgrade the pump later. To maintain the correct speed and cfm of the pump I am running a bigger pulley on the motor and a smaller pulley on the pump.

10. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

My question is what went wrong with old motor? Make sure you're fixing the real problem so the new motor doesn't get hurt.

I just swapped on out on my boss's compressor -- bearings were shot and had allowed amature to rub so it was scrap, but previous problems were with bad condensors -- simple fix.:D

Or did it let the "magic smoke" out?:eek:

11. Slide

Slide

Just make sure you don't get one of the GE motors they sell @ Tractor Supply. Those things are junk! After mine went out after 3 months of almost no use, I discovered many others on the internet had the same problem. (At least TSC was good to take it back and give a full refund.)