Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air cleaners on Y blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JUSTIN PERSINGER, May 19, 2020.

1. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Ok, I am in the process of selecting accessories for my 312 Y block and I am having a hard time picking out an air cleaner.
    I would like to know what custom air cleaners have been ran on everyone else's Y blocks?
    If you guys have pics of them on the motor that would be great.
    I am looking at the 12" oval cleaner or the chrome Batwing style; I am running chrome valve covers, stock 4 bbl intake, with custom paint.
    Also, has anyone changed out the oil fill tube or modified it to be shorter?

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you find a bottom you like and a filter element 61-2 Corvette and GTO’s are good, go to a kitchen supply and look at “cake” baking pans, (no holes and aluminum) cake cover lids (stainless and polished) sauce pan lids stainless with a hole) etc. I was just at one close to me again for something else and marveled at them with ideas.. my dual quad Y has polished pan lids.

Filler would be tough, it’s not a press in and cutting on the engine a pain. I run a cap with a hose fitting into the bottom of the air cleaner to keep the fumes out the engine compartment.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I seen the Corvette and GTO ones and I liked the look of those too. I didn't think of the cake pan idea.
    I was thinking of an old olds hubcap modified to fit though.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. garage2small

garage2small

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I use factory T-bird valve covers,but like chrome Ford too.
    Short oil fill tube is not a better idea,the oil tube is engineered that high=as gives oil drops time to fall out of blow by{all engines of any brand/make have some blow by} so oil fill tube should stay high.
    I run 4x2 mostly,but when they are in work,I run a 4bbl,with a air cleaner that has some fins that I liked ,although I would of liked fins that more closely match T-bird covers. My 4x2 look best to me any way. 001 (4).JPG DejaVu292Y.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    AVater, Desoto291Hemi and mark latham like this.