Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air cleaner questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4doorsformorewhores, Jul 23, 2021.

1. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

Anyone know if those little pancake air cleaners would work on a Rochester B off a 54’ bel air? I found a gorgeous one on eBay that takes the oil bath element, and I’m a sucker for the look of the late 40s Chevy air cleaner look. Below I attached some photos of the one I’m looking at. Maybe an adaptor of some sort would work?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quite a catchy name you got there!

VANDENPLAS, rbrewer and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

pretty sure it was an early GM marketing slogan:cool:

VANDENPLAS and oldiron 440 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

we can't see the pictures....at least, I can't.

maybe try the "UPLOAD A FILE" button?

5. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

Whoops. Let’s try this

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I guess a guys is allowed to spend his 400 bucks on what ever he wants to as long as the kids don't go hungry.
    looking up a Rochester B carb And finding this one that Ebay seller i5autoroca gets all photo creds for the first thing is to look at your carb and see if it has that type of throat top and if it measures 2-1/4 inches or real close. Rochester B carb.jpg

At the price of having a stock base chromed after buying the stock air cleaner It may not be a bad deal with the Ebay asking prices for rather grungy looking stock units. Unless you find one for a bargain price buying one at Ebay prices and having it chromed will cost more than the asking for that one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  7. squirrel

squirrel

pics so they're a little easier to see.

Gotta be better than the little tiny paper filers with the lid on them, they don't let any air through at all.

ac.png ac2.png

i.rant, Joe Travers and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That shouldn't be an issue as the part with front on it is a deflector and the back 2/3 are open. Pancake air cleaner open.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. blazedogs

blazedogs

May be a dumb question. There are all kinds of air cleaners makes & sizes. Should one be concerned about the size of the air cleaner in regards to the volume of air a particular engine needs to run efficiently ? I see some pretty small air cleaners at various car shows on biggar engines Gene

10. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

correct back 2/3’s are wide open. Did that come off a little Rochester? Most of the pancake style I’ve seen seem to come off the old pick ups, or the fleetlines

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Joe H

Joe H

If the owners of those small air cleaners would look up the cfm of element, they would see most all the small ones are for single or twin cylinder lawn mowers. The best ones are the 5 or 6" diameter ones on BBC's.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, you do need to be concerned.

13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER