Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Cans ? on rear 50 lincoln ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50lincolnsport, May 7, 2010.

1. 50lincolnsport

50lincolnsport

i have some old air can from a old import i had. the cans are bad ass i beat the shi* out of my import draging it hoping it. the cans never leaked or poped. Bags on the other hand have blown out on me countless times and always when i was broke. i have done links suspension's on rock buggy's, and 70's c10. i am thinking about taking leaves out of the lincoln and leaving one, then make a link to hold axle in place. running the air cans like shocks ? i have all the stuff to do this , just wondering if any old rods have riding on cans. or if i would bind up and snap my drive shaft ? i have not worked on a custom in 5 years and i am itching to slam my lincoln.
    Thanks

2. Squablow

Squablow

What are air cans? I've never heard of that before. But if they function like an air bag, search for setups called "bag over leaf". That's basically what you're describing. If the "can" is going to support the weight of the car, you'll need to mount them a lot more solid than a shock mount, but it could be done.

I personally don't like the idea of a single leaf spring locating the rear end, I think you'd be better off with a trailing arm type suspension for your rear, regardless of what is holding it up, bag, spring, "can", whatever.

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

More info needed