Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bag plumbing who's done it before...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomd, Feb 27, 2004.

1. kustomd

kustomd

I'm thinking of bagging my truck and I already have bags for all four corners some lines, gauges,and 4 paddle valves I believe is what they are called. I've done air shocks and I used to change airbags out on diesel trucks when I worked for a truck stop. But I know putting them on something that didn't already have them is a little different. I've figured out how to mount them on the truck but I'm not sure about plumbing everything Is there any kind of schematics out there for plumbing the lines? I have seen the setup using nitrogen or some other type of compressed gas but not close enough to see how they had it hooked up. I just want the truck to go up and down thats pretty much it. I have four paddlevalves one for each bag and I have figured out how they work. But I thought about using some compressors out of older cadillacs or lincolns with one of those big walmart air tanks modified how ever to make it work. The store bought tanks I have seen have four outlets for the air lines but I know you couldn't do that on some sort of a bottled system like nitrogen or oxygen type tanks like for a cutting torch rig or a wire welder rig. So what do they do?

2. kustomd

kustomd

Oh yea my truck is a 66 chevy swb. It a step side tho. I wish I had a fleet side bed for it but all I have is three stepsides. At least two of the stepsides have that sport fender without the spare tire well. No one wants to trade a fleet side bed for a stepside bed do they? I think any 60-66 chevy fleetside bed will work as long as it is swb.

3. JamesG

JamesG

Call this guy, he's a buddy of mine and helped me with my bags...... Kal Trends He's in Cabot bro. [​IMG]

4. Scrapyard

Scrapyard

First, I wouldn't use the compressors off the Cads or Lincolns. They do not support the volue you need to fill an air tank. You'll be waiting a week for the thing to fill and then you probablly won't have the pressure you need to lift the car. I would call these guys http://www.suicidedoors.com/ I bought most of my system from them and was very happy. They carry good quality stuff at very reasonable prices. I would look into one of the compressors they sell. Preferably the Viair 450. They seem to be god of the air compressor right now. Also, with the multiport tanks, You probablly woun't find that nesseccary with your setup. They are typicly used for the big orafice electric valves. You mount the valve right to the port in the tank and run wires off the valve to a switch panel in the cab. What you'll probablly want is a 3-5 gal tank with 2 ports. One to fill from the compressor the other to feed to your paddel switches. Then, depending how it's setup, you'll either have to "T" off the feed line and run a seperat line to the back of each switch or You'll have what is considered a manifold style were you have one orafice that the feed line goes to and it routes air to each switch internally. More or less, I'm assuming you have the first style. As far as pluming in a Nitrogen tank. You'll still want a standard air tank and compressors for when the bottle runs out. If you can find a tank that has 3 ports you would plumb the system as I said earlier and in the 3rd port you would run the line from the bottle. You'll also need a regulator for the nitrogen bottle. You can pick them up at any welding suppply place. Regulate it down to around 150 psi and you're good to go. The reason you want it to enter through your normal storage tank is so the gas can expand. Really the best thing to use Nitrogen for is for fast bags though. You'll want at least 3/8" ports, fittings, electric valves and lines through out. Otherwise it's really not nesseccary. It's kinda neat because you have a constant 150psi, but it gets kinda pricey refilling the bottle all the time. Like I said. It's mainly if you want the car to get up fast. if you just want a basic up down setup Nitrogen is overkill.

5. ud be better buying a 6 or 8 port tank .1 line in each hole 2 comps and still have room for your air gauges and there only like 50 bucks for the tank and you can always plumb the nitrogen in another bottle .if you need to no ANYTHING BEFORE YOU START THIS PROJECT JUST PM ME.you ll ither need a 3 link set up or replace your pan hard bar. [​IMG] heres my 62 it has a 7 in c notch but other than that its all stock suspention that been altered .drop spindels arnt on yet nor is my rear end blocked yet