Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bag gurus I got a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shiftymutt, Jun 9, 2006.

1. I am thinking of bagging my 62 Galaxie. I was going to go with bag over leaf in the back.

In the front I have a thought of useing shockwave bagsystem instead of the springs....Will that work....

My thought is to pull the shock and the coil spring and replace it with the shock wave....Will this work?

I am looking at the ARP sustem which is the same as air ride...

Basically I am looking for a system that i can install in my garage rather than have to take to someone to fab up a bunch of stuff...bolt in is nice.....

Any suggestions

2. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

You may already know this, but Air Ride also makes a rear Shockwave setup that uses a 4-bar like system for the 60-64 Galaxies. I saw an online article of the installation, looked fairly easy to me. The kit utilized the same front leaf mounts for the lower bars and whatnot. The price was steep though. For the life of me I cannot find the online article where I saw it, but I did see it someplace.

Anywho, the benefit of this is you may be able to get more drop than an air over leaf setup. I know on my '62 wagon, if I was to remove the rear bumpstops I could lay frame without notching the frame rails if the suspension would go down that far, which I'm not sure if it will or not with the leaf(s) still in it.

3. wes

wes
    from san diego

iwould stay away from the shockwave system, they dont get very much lift at all, i think you would be happier with the standard airbag, shock setup

4. FONZI

FONZI

I don't know how low you want it....I had a 62 and did the bag/leaf deal in the rear. Rode ok. Did not go very low. You HAVE to notch the fram to get a decent ride if you want it lowww lowww.

FONZI

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thats what i was gonna say...

6. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I don't have front shocks, and my car rides GOOD. I do have rear shocks though.....and fuck shockwaves!:D

7. starlite staff

starlite staff

What everybody else said...

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Get a pair of firestone 2600 lbs bags for the front, build your own upper and lower plates or buy the generic ones and make fit. The larger bags will allow a better ride and more lift..

For rear, you can go with over leaf set up but may have to remove a leaf spring or two to get it down further (but not so much you get axle wrap under hard acceleration.) Notching your frame maybe necessary if it does not sit low enough for your taste.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah, shockwaves are expensive. Sure they may be a direct bolt in to replace your coil & shock...but how hard is it to relocate a shock?

Firestone 2600 or Slambags all the way around, air over leaf if you don't have a desire to lay it out, 4-bar system if you do, add frame notch to get it lower.