Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ah yes, kit cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Mar 12, 2010.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know that it would be real cramped, the rear axle tube probably brushes against the back of the seat. I'm sure the handling could be done right, notice the engine is probably dead center of the car. I love these things!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. N8B

N8B

Great thread.
    I remember growing up my cousin, twice removed had a Coyote Kit car.
    [​IMG]

I have always loved the kit cars that were trying to necessarily copy something else.
    I'd give my left nut for one of these to this day.

3. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I toured factory five. as sayed earlier nice cars nice people. the 33 roadster coupe is really nice. But one question the roadster has one windshield and the coupe has another. what do you do with the inspection sticker when you have two windshield

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

weird........ I wouldn't dream of doing a glass '32 Ford, but if it's a sportscar type, then I'd jump right in. I would love to have a Cheetah to build.

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Supposedly the FF 33 hot rod outhandles their cobra roadster. Their roadster is on par with the real cobra.
    Some of the 33 Hot Rods were on display at SEMA this year. They were VERY impressive!

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

You should see Dave Smith take one for a walk in the parking lot

7. shagg'n

shagg'n

I'm in process of building a 'glass car(at the risk of being shunned here!).A small manufacturer that was around in late sixties/early seventies,call Fiberfab.Mine is a '69 Jamaican,with a go fast theme.I've built a full chassis,planning on around 450hp 289 with a top loader 4speed.Car should weigh in soaking wet at 2200 lbs.I'm kinda doing a vintage road race theme,with aluminum interior,"turned" dash/firewall etc...no pic's thought,sorry.:rolleyes:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Thank you! That's the name that I couldn't remember. The Jamaican was the one that I bought the assembly manual for in 1968. No I don't still have it. I still think it's a sexy looking sports car.

9. gearguy

gearguy

Don Edmunds, 1957 Indy 500 rookie-of-the-year and noted race car builder, was responsible for the original Cheetah fabrications. The story is on his web site.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs and kit cars to hoodlums world wide...

I'll buy one of those suckers when I get rich, which should be happening any day now. looks like a lot of fun no matter what motor you put in one

11. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

12. Regardless what you think about 'em, kit cars are a part of hotrodding. Check out Dragmasters effort in the '60's.

Attached Files:

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I'm really love'n the new Factory Five Mark IV Roadster. Hands down, it would be my kit choice.

14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Brookville makes a decent kit car body.

15. al-uminum

al-uminum

16. skywolf

skywolf

Ak Miller thought kit cars were OK. :)

[​IMG]
    Photo: Ray Brock

17. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Hope you guys aren't getting sick of seeing these pics. This is like the 3rd time I've posted them this year. Anyway, '58 Byers CR90 body. Maybe 100 made, about a dozen still around. I've had it for over 20 years and all that time I thought it was a Devin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

18. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Yes but expensives

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One day, one day I WILL build a replica Cobra Daytona Coupe...........
    No matter how I work it out I just cant dig up the 3.5 mill for a real one.
    Doc

EDIT: Damn it, now its 7.2 mill.............

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That Byers CR 90 is beautiful!!! If you ever give up on that project, CALL ME !
    When I started this thread I figgured I'd catch a lot of "This is a traditonal rod site" crap
    There's been some amazing cars posted on this thread. Many thanks to all who posted their pics.

21. flathead okie

flathead okie

Here's my "KIT" I thought I'd be done with it by now, but 12 hr work days at my real job stopped me in my tracks

Attached Files:

22. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I want to build one of these from factory 5
    [​IMG]

23. Squablow

Squablow

I had this car for 4 days 5 years ago and some of my friends still ask me about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a clone GTO Judge convertible, but I don't really like taking it anywhere, because the first thing out of anyone's mouth when they see it is "Is that a real Judge?" and as soon as I tell them "no" they turn up their noses at me, like they outsmarted me or something. It takes all of the fun out of it.

That's why I would never want a Cobra or Ferrari kit car, or anything like that where it's meant to look like a factory built car. But some of the aftermarket bodies that were available at the time are really neat and those I would totally go for, like the Byers above which I've never heard of, or a Devin or LaDawri or Fiberfab or something like that.

24. shop teacher

shop teacher

I am the auto shop teacher at Bloomington, Minnesota, Kennedy High School. Looking for a kit car package or advice on a project idea for our Fiero donation. We dont have much money but have some vehicles or a tax deduction for donated parts. Please e-mil or call 952-681-6917 Thanks, Bill Johnson

25. There are so many "kit cars" available, it boggles the mind. I think it can be good for the "sport" It's a lot easier for some people to have a big truck show up and drop off all the parts and the instructions.
    Take a look at articles in Street Rodder, R&C, etal. There's a lot of coverage on 1-800-hot rods. Take a look at Speedway and their Deuce lowboy, it's been around over 25 years and apparently still sells well. I've seen a few completed and like the look. Same with their 27 track roadster. Really neat with a quad four! And, now they have the Deuce highboy, add engine and trans and you're ready to go.
    I often think I would have been better off going that way, I'd be done and driving. But then I'd be driving a hot rod that looked like someone else's.
    But then again, anyone got an unfinished Cobra to trade for a steel 31 Chevy with a pink?

26. I'm thinking of manufacturing a kit car, here's my idea. The big sellers seem to be the kits for us regular guys to build something exotic looking, usually replicas of cars that are out of reach pricewise. But what about guys with boatloads of money? None of the manufacturers are catering to those guys and they're being left out of the whole kit car party. I'm going to market a kit specifically for those guys, a kit with all the body panels, vinyl upholstery, and suspension parts to transform their Testarossas, F40s, Diablos and Countaches into a Firebird or Fiero lookalike. What do you think? It would of course be ridiculously high priced for my target market. I'm looking for investors for a little startup capital...

27. Larry T

Larry T

Your toaster hasn't popped yet?
    Already been done. Steve McQueen had a Porsche in VW clothes.
    Larry T

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

As far as traditional builds... I have no desire for a Cobra or any contemporary kit cars. I rarely even look at them at the shows. I'd love to find a Devin, Kellison coupe or the Devin look a like shown on this post. They are not direct copies of expensive cars. They only came in fiberglass! My only hope of getting one is to find a rough basket case. I'm probably too old for that but I'll never admit it.:D

I want one with a 265 or 283 with a 6spd and at least 456 gears so that I could play on the street without actually going too fast.:D I enjoy shifting gears both up and down. I think they call it driving and not merely riding.

29. boldventure

boldventure

This series was on Speed TV last year.
    http://www.kittvonline.com/
    A bit light on content but not too bad. It's car stuff so I TIVOed it when it was on.

30. same here Tommy. The "cobras" are lame to me.