Register now to get rid of these ads!

ah jeez yeah a cup holder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikidiablo, Feb 1, 2009.

1. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

My coupe has been on the road a while now I guess and has racked up some MILES. Daily driven about 500 mile a week, ventura county, the IE , Napa, San Diego, El Mirage.......

Now to my update. Needed a stylish cup holder for morning coffee.

[​IMG]

1. Used a old aluminum plate that already had all the holes punched out. I used some steelwool to give it a linear sanded look , gave it a curve and traced the profile to some scap wood I had laying around.
    2. Cut it on the bandsaw and used this shape to cut a second piece of wood.
    3. Clamped the wood together and sanded the curved shape so both pieces would be identical.

4. I cut two more pieces of 1x2 wood and made the front and back pieces to join the cuved side panels. I pre-drilled and countersunk my holes fo a more finise look and as not to split the hardwood.

5.Next I layed the aluminum pre punched and shaped face panel on top of the wood open face "box" and predrilled some hole to attatch the aluminum to the wood. I would have used different spacing but some of the holes were already made so I made it work.

6. When I bought my coupe it had a couple of boxes of OLD screws in the trunk, so I thought I'd save them for something one day. Round head slot screws would look perfect, so I used them.

7. Lastly I has some extra holes that were on the curved part of the alum panel that I needed to cover up. Perfect spot for my old Hamb tag. Doesn't cover them all exacly but does a good job. gave the wood a quick coat of satin spray laquer and all done.

This took about 30 minutes to make so I didn't get any pics during, but the end result is pretty self explanitory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list was my repop gas cap for my '32 tank. It is smooth around the edge and seemed to leak alot. I solved the leaking by adding a thicker cork gasket, but the added thickness of the new gasket made twisting the cap off difficult. I'd have to wrestle with it at the gas pump sometimes and this circus act got old after awhile.

I cut up a small exhaust flange I had and welded it to the cap. Since I had sanded the spots where I was going to weld, I hit the whole cap with sand paper to give it that machined look.

2. I used a leftover strap of leather I had from my hood straps and riveted it to the cap. The other end was riveted to a thin piece of sheetmetal with three holes drilled into it. Two were for the rivets and the third was so I could attatch it to my rear brake light. I pulled the screw out of the housing , slipped through the sheet metal tab and back into the housing.

I shouldn't lose my cap now(not that I ever did) but more importantly I have something to torque on to get the cap on and off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly I modified an old oil bath air cleaner with a modern paper filter to the belly button motor.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Killer! I'd say that's one of the coolest cup holders I've seen..

3. BadLuck

BadLuck

soooo cool......

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

OH YEA,looks perfect.Funny thing is I just mounted my tag on my firewall about 1/2 hour ago:)

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

Love it. Hot Rodder recycling ingenuity fueled by coffee... pure genius.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was expecting a small tiki with a hole in the top of it's head. ;):D HEHE! Looks good man! You should get some coffee from Papa Z's on saturday, and try it out.

7. Nice cup holder. Looks kinda " industrial". Love how you lined up the screw head slots. Good ideas on the gas cap. Looks a little "over-the-top" but you won't lose it and I know how difficult it is sometimes to get the stock cap on and off. Cool work...Don.

8. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Scoot , Haah I almost got out of bed Sat to drop by, but ended up working on the house and my car.

Thanks guys I wish I could share some of the more helpful stuff, but tha talent and experience on here is awe-inspiring. My coupe was my first build so I am still learning. Actually I built the car with knowledge I got here reading the HAMB.

Danny

9. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

You are a crafty one. I like that a lot! I went with the $2 plastic one LOL.

10. worn shoes

worn shoes

Very sanitary and simple. Great stuff Danny

11. belair

belair

You didn't get a billet one?

12. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

i love the ingenuity on your gas cap and retaining strap. Looks good!

13. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Over 1500 posts since 2006, I guess they can't all be winners.;)

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

cool. you gonna stripe it? maybe a nice color like cafe.....or cream.

15. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

What's your paypal addy cuz I'd like a cupholder just like it!

16. cupholder??
    CUPHOLDER???

dude...you're such a fa...

such a fabulously talented and ingenious individual. will you build a coupe for my wife??

what you need to do is get Dane to ride with you all the time to hold your mochalatteccino!

17. ...for you not-so-crafty guys, or if you're just in a hurry; I screw 2 soup cans to a piece of 1x6 lumber...it makes a perfectly good cup holder. I've got em in all my cars, just set em on the floor in front of the seat.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I use a roll of duct tape, it's traditional, and removeable you just set it anywhere on your carpeted or uncarpeted floor and insert beverage of your choice

and best of all it doesnt slide around and is moveable

19. H3O

H3O

i need somethin like that. no cup holders suck, especially when you can't put your drink between your legs cuz of the steering wheel!!:mad:

that cup holder is killer!!!:cool:

20. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

"traditionally" one would keep a lady on the passenger side to hold the glass bottle coke while you are shifting gears. :D

21. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

Nice job on the cup holder!!!!!! Do you have it secured to the floor?

22. 26TA&PFCC

26TA&PFCC
    from Tucson

I like them strait slot screws, classic. It appears that the size will hold a big gulp, just wondering if it will conceal and hold firmly say something like a 12 oz aluminum road soda?

23. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Kool Kup holder that many miles a week I'd need a pisser too! will you please give me the part # to that upper radiator hose, the only parts store in my town has 3 different hoses, Case, John Deere and White tractors, he says GIVE me a number, Thanks and sorry about slammin your thread

24. crafty...does Starbucks give an Alliance member discount?

25. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Thats pretty cool, I'm gonna have to do something similar.
    My current cup holder has big tits and bitches too much...

26. Harris

Harris

^^^^lmao^^^^

27. Abomination

Abomination

I want to see the inside of that air cleaner!

~Jason

28. Abomination

Abomination

You're in good company, man. :D

~Jason

29. ............. you send the big titted bitchy cup holder to me. I'll see that you get one like Tiki's. Even-up! ;)

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats a really damn neat idea!!!!!