Register now to get rid of these ads!

Again...Where is Everyone

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by ThingyM, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ThingyM

ThingyM

Every time I come on here, It's deader than a scattered motor..Did everyone shut down for the winter.?? Oh Well!!..Back to work on my HAMBster..

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Can't speak for the rest but I'm putting in my usual November and December at the float barn. The joy of 70 and 80 hour weeks trying to get'er done in time for the parade. Doesn't leave much time or much mood for much else.

I get to look at the shape of the Barn Job under its tarp on the trailer each day as I come and go. I only whine a little, 'cause I know I'll be back on it in January, after the parade and the follow-ups are over. That five hour shindig'll be five straight days for us this time around.

Well, off to my "voluntary slave labor", kiddies. I'll have to settle for mostly lurking and the occasional post 'til then.

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im here, just not gettin anything done! farm season for us just ended, now its time to work on our rentals, our restaurant, our house, and my neighbors, all before it gets cold...ha....im late! ohh and i still need to get my tranny in my van......other then that, working on the rust revival 09, and being broke, im just movin right along!!!!LOL

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We're here. Maybe we need to have a daily sign in thread to keep you informed of our whereabouts so you don't worry?:p

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I'm here, do not get to get on a work anymore as they have blocked the HAMB! I only get to log on when I'm home and I work a 12 hour swing shift, so the only time i get on is when I wake up.
    Got to change the flywheel in mine and hopefully pull the head and bump the compression up for next year. Got to try and keep up with the flatheads some how.
    Robert

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I was just thinkin' the samething Thingy'. I just don't have anything to report:( but I'm venturing out to the shop now and maybe get something done!

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ya could always drill some holes in that axle.:D

8. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I'm here off and on just about everyday after work and when my boy is nappin and the wife is at work.Or like now everyones nappin and the house is quiet.

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

I check the HA/GR forum every time I log into the HAMB.

Been a bit busy trying to help pops with the transporter overhaul (as in road going conveyance, not particulate electron conversion stuff). Hopefully we will be done with that in the next week to 10 days. (cause we are both getting sick of it, and it's messy enough that it would be unwise to tacle anything else we have planned till the grinding and welding on that is complete)

10. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

We're still here, dusted off the hamb gas rail yesterday just to hear that flathead sing,brings tears to my eyes , or is that the fuel fumes in the workshop. Comin' round to summer drag racing season down here.the sydney boys are racing next weekend.wish i could go but i spent too much money in the usa.

11. ThingyM

ThingyM

OBFB.. You wouldn't happen to be the one that Richard B was telling me about. Went to the ANRA races etc... Just curious.....

12. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Here piddling away. :)

13. 348chevy

348chevy

I check in every day but I'm doing nothing on the dragster. I have drained the oil and shot Stabil in all the cylinders. I will order some AMSOIL 20-50 next week and refill the oil pan after I button it back up. I plan on spending the winter using the 1/2 inch drill and running oil through the engine every 2 weeks. I plan on painting it yellow and put school bus graphics on it this year. It's a school bus engine and my wife works at our local school. I'm not going to do anything to the engine this year. I want to make it where I can drive back to the pits and not overheat so will do some cooling system work. I may end up putting a nose piece on, don't know just some thoughts. Nose piece is weight but it would clean up the looks of the frontend. I would like to come up with some wire wheels but that is probably cost prohibitive. I am earning some dragster money by keeping a reposessed house mowed and clean looking but winter is here so that will be on standby for a few months.:)Roy

14. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Like most of you I check in almost every day but have very little to contribute to the HA/GR scene. I've about finished the external distributor/oil pump drive assembly. I have my fingers crossed that it will work. I want to build a 4x1 header for the car and pick up some TQ below 3500 rpm. Dwight and Tim (partners) are looking at one of the Speedway nose pieces to hide the radiator.

Ron

15. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

I only race at the nostalgia meets.i did go over to the hamb drags.

16. nexxussian

nexxussian

Any pics, or is it a secret, till you run it in 'public'?:D

Would a long primary 4-2-1 (avoiding the term Tri Y here) like some of the 'cup' cars use work for that?

17. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Erik,

I'm still machining on the mount. It's not a secret, just that I'm slow getting things done.

I've spent hours on the internet trying to get an answer about what's the best header configuration for an engine with a siamese exhaust. I even talked to David Vizard and he couldn't tell me what was best. I'm going to try the 4x1 first and see if the TQ will improve below 3500 rpm.

Pictures of the dist/oil pump at 11.

Ron

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

:D

Thanks.

No worries, quality over quantity, that hurry up mass production BS is for Walmart, not here.

Be interesting to see what you come up with for data on the header.

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Gettin' ready to eat turkey and all the trimmin's. Happy thanksgiving to all of the hambster guys and gals from me and the missus.:D

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

Had ours, waiting to have room for pie.:D

21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Back from the kids, had a good turkey with'em and grand kids & great grand kids. Took the day off from the float and slept 'til 1030 hrs. :cool:

Back to the barn tomorrow of course. :rolleyes:

Hope all yours were as pleasant as ours was.

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Good food and good people here.

Now I'm at work.

Back at it after I get off (work, what did ya think I meant???).

23. 348chevy

348chevy

Full of turkey and dressing and pie. The grandkids had ball out here in the country. We target practiced and talked until my eyelids couldn't stay open. Today I went over to an engine builders and we analized my dragster bearings. He said they were in excellent shape so I am using them another year. I am building some swinging baffels in the oil pan to control the oil in accelleration and decelleration. I was going to use the 6 qt. oil pan for ground clearance but decided to go back to the 8 qt. The cylinder walls look perfect so I guess that the engine survived the 240 degree heat and a couple of 6000 rpm + blasts. I ordered some more $11.00 qt oil for next year. After I get the engine back together I will strip the body off for the repaint. I have a job that may earn me enough money to lighten up the front end some. Hindman says that the tube axle isn't any lighter than my beam axle. Don't know I havn't seen a comparsion of their weights. I have to keep working on the car so I can get through the winter without a race. I need a fix.:DRoy

24. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Roy,

Glad to hear everything is ok with the GMC.

Ron

25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving! Rocky

26. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well after all the Thanksgiving stuff. And I mean Stuff..Back on my diet...And back to work on my HAMBster..

BTW California guys...The tracks are talking about limiting us to either 11.50 et, and/or 110 mph. because of non NHRA safety issues.. Just thought I'd let ya know..

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Dick, I'm going to repost this as a new thread ..........
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3340166#post3340166

I'd have no problem what so ever with 11.5, as HA/GR was originally devised around a 12.0 limit anyway. In addition, there's no valid reason not to stick to the original 12.0 and several very good ones not to exceed it.

Considering the light weight of our cars though, I do believe that 110 is too low for 12.0 (let alone 11.5). We could live with it of course, but 120 would be more realistic, even for 12.0.

Dick, out of curiosity what are their specific concerns? If they're considerations NHRA doesn't address it sounds like they may be exactly the things that were addressed back in the formation discussions that resulted in the 12.0 limit as intended. Sounds like we might already be in agreement.

Hereagain is the link to the new thread .......
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3340166#post3340166

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  28. I've been away for close to a month... since right after my engine came off the dyno. My internet/computer took a dump two weeks ago, but, I haven't had time, until this weekend, to mess with it.

At the end of September I started night school- monday through thursday 6pm to 11pm, so I have only weekends to do stuff.

I also "closed down" the garage I was renting to work in, so I had to bring a three stall shop home to my one stall garage. I still have to fetch three engines and two cars from that.

The last four weekends I spent morning to night building a shed in the backyard, for the overflow.

As badly as I want to get the HA/GR on the track for the spring, at this point I don't think I'm going to get there. I have three leftovers from my shop that will probably take all winter to get outta here, and then I have some equipment I need to work on-- The foundry, the tube bender, and the flowbench.

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Makin' parts when I ain't makin' waves.:p

Still into creative "engineering" on the little bits, but things are happening in the shop.:D

30. DiceKitten

DiceKitten

I'm here,(relocated to the chicago burbs) Im busy moving from state to state and just lurking on the HAMB and wishing santa leave me a sled for xmas!