Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aftermarket trans kickdown cables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 30, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I had the 460 in the F100 I was barely able to use the factory kick down rod but with the 351-W in it sits too close to the firewall now to use factory parts so time for a aftermarket cable. I like Lokar products and have one of their cables on my 55 sunliner with a C-4 but 70 plus dollars for it is just more then I can pay for something like that right now so I am looking for a cheaper alternative or could there be something that could be grabbed out of the junkyard that would work with a little modification. I have around 500 dollars in getting the 351-W in the truck including the purchase of the engine so I would not like to have almost 1/5th of the cost of the total project just in the kickdown cable,this has been a fun project trying to get by without spending a bunch of money by using parts in stock and making parts work.

2. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I have seen old bicycle brake line used. bike shops will cut it to any length and its cheap.
    you would then need to make up the brackets etc or adapt what you have to work with it.

or take your current setup to a brake shop and get them to put the ends on come handbrake cable what heavier and better.

3. 1930 A

1930 A

If its a 3 speed you can run it without a kickdown cable.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has a C-6 and it works without it but a kickdown would be nice and if I can find some ends that will attach to the carb and trans a bicycle cable is not much different then Lokar and other manufactures uses.

5. I believe that in the later years of the C6, the fuel injected engines in the pickups used a cable for the kickdown. Look for a 3 Speed Auto in a 1987-1991? Truck. You might have to shorten the cable, but that’s what this hobby is all about

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Heading to the junkyard in the morning.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.