Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aftermarket radiator companies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott De Shields, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Trying to find someone that builds a new radiator for a 1955 Oldsmobile. Costs of used radiators with shipping seems high for something that could be a pig in a polk. Plenty of vintage Chevy and Ford radiators being built but no early Olds. Anyone got some good sources?

2. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Personally ide go to one of those small radiator shops you find in most of the industrial areas out in CA if you already have a radi. Most of them should be able to re-core it(my personal favorite) or even dip it if its not in too bad of shape to seal it up. It usually costs cents on the dollar to do that, rather than buying a brand new one which will rip your wallet pocket right off your pants, or fitting one from another make/model they never seem to mount up right, unless you have a cutting wheel, sheet metal, a welder and lots of beer.....

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Why not take yours and get it re-cored ?

4. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

US Radiator in LA has always been great with for me. Tell Alex I sent you, he is really a plus to the hot rod world

5. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

I tried US Radiator and they said they could recore my old core except my car did not have one when I bought it. They would need measurements,

6. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Call Walker Radiator in Memphis TN. They make great radiators and my be able to help you.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you go to any radiator shop they have a catalog from companies like Modine, who make radiators. In it there are dimensions and drawings of each radiator, with specific information about where the necks and fill are located. When I swapped the 5.0 engine into my Jeep pickup I sat and looked through one such book and found a perfect radiator for my needs. The book also show what the radiator was designed for, so you might even find one from your vehicle or at least find out how big yours was originally so you can find a comparable one.

It usually ends up cheaper than having a custom one built.

Don

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am very happy with U S. Radiator..........I needed one for a friends F-1,
    they quoted price and delivery date and met their promise perfectly.

Ray

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

u.s. radiator in vernon ca.

10. Agree with the re-core route as stated above

Jim

11. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I just ordered one from Brice Thomas radiator. Very good service and they specialize in making whatever you want. They are in Gadsden, Alabama.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I use CARS, Custom Auto Radiator Service, here in NJ. They can build a radiator completley from scratch, including brackets. They will do it in any type of core, and number of cores, with or without trans coolers, bungs, condensors, exactly the way you want it.
    Been using them for many years, for many projects.

13. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

14. http://bestradiator.net/

I would say to use these guys. dont know what shipping will run you. they built me an aluminum rad. they do all kinds of custom work.

15. Had my 53 Chevy rebuilt by local shop, looks new, works great and plus keeps the same factory stampings on the header. $425.00, no shipping, no shipping damage. And, old established radiator shops that are usually run by the owner can give you good advice along with stories of all the cool stuff he's had come through his shop. Support you community, shop local, keep it American!

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

54 Chevy has it right. Walkers an exact fit, do the job and last. They are pricey but worth it. My 46 Ford Convertible has a Walker in it for over 15 years and still going strong. When it comes to brakes, steering and cooling I buy the best.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Try Mattson's Custom Radiator. They can build you anything you want and they do excellent work.

7582 Industrial Way
    Unit D
    Stanton Ca, 90680
    (866) 435-6477
    www.mattsonscustomradiator.com

18. Old Dude

Old Dude

From my understanding, General Motors made Buick, Olds, & Pont. They should have the same measurements ! If you could find one, would be the best way to go. then have it recored, by a radiator shop. Back in the day, it was the only way TWO BE COOL ! Measure it, or find a Old G M Mechanic book, for more help.

19. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

X2 for Brice Thomas - I sent them a diagram of what I wanted, and they made it exactly. Very pleased with the service

20. BobMcD

BobMcD

X2 for Mattsons